The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 23-28

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 23-28 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 23-28   Chapters 23-28 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 21, 2007 8:03 pm

This forum is for thoughts related to Chapters 23-28
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 23-28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 23-28   Chapters 23-28 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 30, 2007 5:49 am

In the Spark Notes it states that Mr. Bumble and Mrs. Corney are middle-class. Wow if that's middle class it stinks. They are just as devious and coniving as the lower class people who have no other choice to survive. They (the middle-class people in this book) don't have any scruples in stealing from the poor boys in the workhouse. It did say that the two (Mr. Bumble and Mrs. Corney) were both sizing each other up for their economic contribution to the union. Mr. Bumble would only consider marriage if he had an appropriate job as the master int eh workhouse.

I really enjoyed the part where Sally was brought into the story. It made it very interesting to have some of Oliver's past start to creep out. Not a whole lot, but enough to enjoy it. Where is the locket? Were we told? Mrs. Corney gets this information and does nothing with it.

Fagan and Sykes both want Oliver. They think he has the facial qualities to look poor and destitute and he also is in despair all the time.

It is really sad that Nancy realizes the predicament that Oliver is in and wishes that he were dead. No gosh. The life that they live must be horrible to think that.

Don't really understand what the union between Charlotte and Noah might bring.

I'm really intrigued by Oliver going back to the house that he tried to rob. We are talking the lower class of servants bring him in and the upper class of the "niece" in the house is curious about Oliver too.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapters 23-28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 23-28   Chapters 23-28 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2007 8:11 am

I wondered about the locket, too. there was no reference to the surgeon or the 'midwife' taking anything from olivers mothers body, although there was a point where the old lady leaned over body.
Yes, olivers face isinteresting, isn't it? rememberthe undertaker decided he would look good as a professional mourner although the first time i read the word to describe that position I thought they Dickens was referring to a person who might lay in the coffin and act dead to show off the look of the coffins when people came in, like a model!
Dickens goes to lengths describing Olivers angelic face, more than once, mybe implying that beauty brings about goodness?
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890

Chapters 23-28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 23-28   Chapters 23-28 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2007 7:27 am

I thought that this was an interesting set of chapters, Dickens style seemed to change a bit. The story really jumped around from one character to the next, building suspense, and layer questions on the realtionships between the characters and how that would play out through the story. Though SparkNotes says that Bumble and Corney's relationship illustrates the differences in types of theft and class, I wonder what role their relationship plays to Oliver, same with Noah and Charlotte. Also we meet Monks a secretive and dark character that clearly has an interest in Oliver, and we see that Fegin also knows more about Oliver than he originally let on.

I am interested to see how all of these things come together.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 23-28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 23-28   Chapters 23-28 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2007 5:07 pm

The marriage and relationship that Mrs. Corney-Bumble and Mr. Bumble have is quite humorous. I guess what goes around comes around.

I am interested in what happens between Charlotte and Noah.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 23-28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 23-28   Chapters 23-28 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 23-28
Page 1 of 1