The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 9-10

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 9-10 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 9-10   Chapters 9-10 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 17, 2007 5:41 pm

Chillingsworth starts to take on the role of physician in the town. He has picked up some knowledge from Europe and the native people on remedies.

Reverend Dimmesdale starts to become physically and mentally ill. It makes me wonder if he is the father of Pearl. Dimmesdale and Chillingsworth move in together with the townspeoples approval. Hoping that Chillingsworth can help his physical problems. The townspeople start to think that Chillingsworth is starting to act and look evil. Is this from jealousy or just stupidity.

The mystery comes to a head when Chillingsworth looks on Dimmesdales chest and sees something.

More to come in the following chapters.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 9-10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 9-10   Chapters 9-10 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 6:41 am

These chapters serve to compare Mr. Chillingsworth and Mr. Dimmesdale. We also see that Mr. Dimmesdale's physical illness is most likely related to a secret that is burdening his soul.

I think this chapter also illuminates how 'evil' Mr. Chillingworth is.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Chapters 9-10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 9-10   Chapters 9-10 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 5:24 pm

I think I posted it later, but I think Reverend Dimmesdale has self-induced angina. LOL
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 9-10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 9-10   Chapters 9-10 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 5:54 pm

whoops1 It typed reply but I don't where I has gone! I really did think about angina, brienne! then I decided Dimsdale had either branded leter'A' upon his chest or cuased some other wound and that he was keeping them infected to fester and cause pain so he might suffer with hester. I don't know why he does not just confes and be forgiven by God, rather than live the lie and hypocracy that is literally driving him crazy.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Chapters 9-10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 9-10   Chapters 9-10 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 9:39 pm

It crossed my mind that the Reverend Dimmesdale somehow self-tortured himself with an "A" on his chest.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 9-10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 9-10   Chapters 9-10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 9-10
Page 1 of 1