The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 66-73

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 66-73 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 66-73   Chapters 66-73 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 23, 2007 7:54 pm

This section is for discussion re: Chapters 66-73
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Chapters 66-73 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 66-73   Chapters 66-73 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 28, 2007 6:32 pm

I thought that there were a couple of key points in this chapters

1. "Oh horrible vulturism of earth" I think Ishmael is talking about both the sharks and their nature, but also man, not only the need to take from other animals for sustanance, but also how we take more than is needed, enjoy the kill, and the uncouth victory celebration after taking a life.

2. The story of Gabriel makes us reflect on the sanity of all the different characters, especially Ahab. He is as determined to persue Moby Dick as Gabriel is not to.

3. The 'homoeroticism' noted again between Ishmael and Queequeg, plays not only to the issues surrounding their sexuality, but also to the uncommon bonds of trust needed in the business and exemplified by these two characters.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 66-73 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 66-73   Chapters 66-73 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2007 1:22 am

As I am having a hard time with this book, I took these chapters and just read them for the enjoyment. I enjoyed the "real story" or "storyline." The side stories are not that interesting to me and I find it difficult to be oriented to the story after a chapter of jabber.

Yes there is a relationship of a different kind between Ishmael and Queequeg. Maybe this can also be paralleled to cowboys who ride with a partner for months and months. They probably have a special kind of bond.

Has anyone ever read or seen "Lonesome Dove." The relationship between Call and McCrae is real and has a strong bond in every way.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Chapters 66-73 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 66-73   Chapters 66-73 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 am

BrokeBack Mountain?? ha ha
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapters 66-73 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 66-73   Chapters 66-73 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2007 12:21 pm

I felt kind of disgusted by the dicriptions of the 'cutting in'. I thought of the monumental waste of man both then and now. We take what we want because it is useful to us with the thought at the time that the supplies are surely un ending. We don't make the most of the resource because there will always be more.

After reading these chapters, I had to read Spark Notes afterward for clarification! Kelley, it looks like you were getting the main thrust of the story.
Yes, I have read and seen Lonesome Dove and Call and MaRae do bear a resembelance! such deep caring they would do anything for one another and repsected one anothers ideas, entirely!
If you haven't seen 'an Unfinished Life' with robert redford and Morgan Freeman, you should. It is new on DVD and has an echo of what we are discussing running through it.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 66-73 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 66-73   Chapters 66-73 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2007 12:41 pm

I'll rent that one Karen.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 66-73 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 66-73   Chapters 66-73 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 66-73
Page 1 of 1