The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 35-42

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 35-42 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 35-42   Chapters 35-42 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 19, 2007 11:23 pm

For discussion related to Chapters 35-42
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Chapters 35-42 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 35-42   Chapters 35-42 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2007 6:50 am

The letter seems to be a turning point for the pair, both Darcy and Elizabeth seem to realize the Pride and Prejudice, that they have held towards each other since meeting.

Elizabeth thoroughly reviews some of the 'criticisms' Mr. Darcy puts forth, though we have see Liza become frustrated and embaressed of her mother, she usually sticks up for the rest of the family. On return to her home, she notices how unruley her sisters behave, and is extremely disappointed by her father (who up until now I thought she felt quite close to)

Mr. Bennet shows a complete lack of interest in his family at this point, both from the narrative information regarding his marriage, his inability to see the trouble of his younger daughter, but especially in disregarding an important warning.

Elizabeth has opened herself up to some criticisms though. She has not told her family of Wickham's evils and she has not told her sister about Bingley's affections. I think that these secretes may end up playing a role in the upcoming story line.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 35-42 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 35-42   Chapters 35-42 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2007 8:29 pm

I think, as Spark Notes says, Elizabeth and Darcy both start to become humble. I think Darcy has a conscience and is bringing it forward. Darcy is starting to show some worthy qualities. Wickham is really showing his true colors. He is the one trying to marry for money. It will be interesting to see why he marries Lydia.

I think that the characters are evolving to something Austen wanted to bring out in the novel. Am I off on my thinking on this?
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Chapters 35-42 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 35-42   Chapters 35-42 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2007 3:08 am

I think you are absolutely right, this is definitely a time of personal evolution for both of these characters. As well as a time for true discovery of one another.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapters 35-42 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 35-42   Chapters 35-42 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 26, 2007 9:45 am

Darcy’s letter didn't seem unrealistic to me. I think when one is really in love, a person might really pour theirt heart out in a letter. Its easier than speaking face to face. He pride had been hurt when elizabeth said no to mariage and that couple with the fact that she was a ccusing him of really being mean to Wickham which was not true, he decided to set the record straigh in the hope that honesty might win her over.
Whereas Elizabeth assumes a passive stance in matters of love, consenting to go to Pemberley only because she thinks Darcy will not be there, Lydia actively pursues her beloved officers and stakes her claim to Wickham now that he has lost interest in Miss King: “I will answer for it that he never cared three straws for her.”
I was kind of surprised that the Bennets would let Lydia go for the summer,knowing her rash personality.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 35-42 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 35-42   Chapters 35-42 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 35-42
Page 1 of 1