The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 9-12

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 9-12 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 9-12   Chapters 9-12 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 19, 2007 11:21 pm

For discussion related to Chapters 9-12
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 9-12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 9-12   Chapters 9-12 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 20, 2007 5:27 pm

Just like I thought, Mrs. Bennet is not a social equivalent. She embarrasses Elizabeth. Lydia is also a bit rude by letting Mr. Bingsley know that he mentioned he was going to have a ball. I wonder where Elizabeth picked up some of her social etiquette. Elizabeth and Darcy get into an argument.

Miss Bingsley is seen more as a snob and realized Darcy is looking at Elizabeth in an affectionate way. She then retaliates and starts talking about Elizabeth and her family after they leave. This is showing us the real character of some of the main players. Lydia shows her immaturity again by interrupting Mr. Collins when he is reading aloud.

It is quite interesting that some of the Bennett's are more polite than others. Darcy is trying to deny that he has feelings for Elizabeth. He chooses to be glad Elizabeth has left. We do see that Miss Bingsley is aware she cannot compete with Elizabeth and her talents and personality so she reverts back to the gentry of her upbringing.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Chapters 9-12 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 9-12   Chapters 9-12 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 21, 2007 4:58 am

I didn't see much to comment on in this section. Some of the main characters personalities are a bit more defined for us.
SparkNotes made an interesting note that the author puts Miss Bingley as an opposite to Elizabeth in this section, which gives the reader a sense of Elizabeth's originality. I have to say I agree and wish that I had seen that on my own.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapters 9-12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 9-12   Chapters 9-12 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2007 8:09 pm

I think Ms. Austen is demonstarting that core goodness is not bound by class just as poor manners and pettiness are also not bound, as demonstated by the differences in Ms. binglsey and elizabeth. I don't like that both Mr bingsley and Darcy are initially only drawn to outward beauty, but I guess it is no worse than some of the young women, including Janes friend who put social standing and money above all else.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 9-12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 9-12   Chapters 9-12 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2007 10:52 pm

Just had a thought on Mr. Bingley and Mr. Darcy being pulled toward beauty. (I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder and beauty comes from within but...). Doesn't chemistry sometimes turn into love. The initial instinctive attraction sets someone up for "love." That tells me that these two are looking for "attraction from within" instead of maintaining the upper class that they were raised to withhold.

Marrying to keep the class you are in is a factor, but to block attractions out of the social class you are to be in is probably just as heartbreaking.

I hope that makes sense.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Chapters 9-12 Empty
PostSubject: Thinking about it   Chapters 9-12 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2007 3:02 am

I was thinking about marrying within your class v. outside, and I thought of all the barriers it presents.
It is difficult to change your standard of living, if you are the one who is living on less than before.
Education and couth is also something that commonly goes along with class, and sometimes it is difficult to have much in common with people who are signinficantly less educated or mannered.

And of course who can forget, the social critique. Britney and K-fed??? ha ha, but you have to admit as awful of an association as that is, I am sure the press related to their inequality socially played a roll in their relationship

(Just trying to look at a different point of view)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 9-12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 9-12   Chapters 9-12 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 9-12
Page 1 of 1