The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 27-34

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 27-34 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 27-34   Chapters 27-34 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 19, 2007 11:23 pm

For discussion related to Chapters 27-34
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Chapters 27-34 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 27-34   Chapters 27-34 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2007 5:30 am

In this section Lizzy visits both Jane and Charlotte. We see through the interactions that Charlotte is pleaslantly content to be married, but not in love with her husband.

This section emphasizes the ideas of class more than any other I believe. Mr. Collins points out that Lady Catherine "Likes the distinction of rank to be preserved." Lady Catherine is haughty and takes pleasure in reigning over her neighbors.

The relization that Mr. Darcy sabatoged Jane's marriage, is devestating to Elizabeth. This and the response to the proposal emphasize her role in PREJUDICE, especially since she has been predisposed to think negatively of Darcy, immediately believes the worst, with out hearing his story.

Mr. Darcy's manner of proposal was a mixture of mockery, humiliation, adoration, and desire. This of course being his ultimate moment of PRIDE.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 27-34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 27-34   Chapters 27-34 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2007 7:45 pm

Good insight Kelley! cheers

Not only is the upper class snobby, but they are hurtful. That wouldn't be the place I would be proud to be. I can't seem to think that Elizabeth will ever love Darcy (even though the book is going to make it so). Elizabeth seems to be the most sensible one of the group, but for her to forgive Darcy and eventually get involved with Darcy is being a hypocrite. There is a lot of that going on here.

You are right Charlotte and Mr. Collins are meant for each other. As we know from history, many years ago in our American history people didn't always marry for love. I guess that's everywhere.

I can honestly say that there is not one character except for my buddy Mr. Bennett that has any scruples.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapters 27-34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 27-34   Chapters 27-34 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2007 7:56 pm

I would guess Darcy didn't even think about how hurtful he was being. He was thinking about what a prize he was for Elizabeth and that he was doing her a favor in his request.
I can say that I have made judgements about people and then later changed my mind. Usually it is because of their words or actions that can make me dislike them but later find that they are insecure or overwhelmed and have not thought about their actions. It can take a while for me to decide i like them, maybe dispite their shortcomings and I am sure MY ways have put some people off, and I may never get a chance to rectify my behavior. I see elizabeth and darcy kind of like that.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Chapters 27-34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 27-34   Chapters 27-34 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2007 11:42 pm

It's true- first impressions are often lasting. I know that I am a bit shy around people I don't know well, and often that comes off as snobby, but then when I get to know you I open up a bit, and then of course when we are friends you realize how silly I can be... But it is comfort level...and perception....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 27-34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 27-34   Chapters 27-34 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 27-34
Page 1 of 1