The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 1-4

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 1-4 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 1-4   Chapters 1-4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 19, 2007 9:34 am

These first four chapters introduce our setting, mentality of the characters, the etiquite of the time and the famous old topic of getting a good man.

Mrs. Bennett is not from a reputable background (I picked that up somewhere). I am going to watch her carefully and see how she handles everything. I wonder if she's going to step up to the gentry she is now living or revert back to her upbringing.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 1-4 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 1-4   Chapters 1-4 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 20, 2007 2:37 am

The first four chapters start to introduce the characters of the novel. Some are defined very simply by one or two characteristics, like Mary who seems shy and intelligent, but so far they have very little definition. Some characters are defined by their dialogue, especially Darcy and Elizabeth.

This chapter also seems to introduce the two 'key couples' and begins to shed light on their differences.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Chapters 1-4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 1-4   Chapters 1-4 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 20, 2007 1:33 pm

I read in a summary of Jane Austen that she was making all the descriptions of the characters through conversation. This book doesn't turn me on as much as the last so far because there is a lot of chatting, but this is Jane Austen's type of writing, so I feel I have to accept that as her writing style.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 1-4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 1-4   Chapters 1-4 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 21, 2007 2:14 pm

the first four chapters allow the reader to understand the family dynamics of the bennett family as well as the social standing of the bennetts and thier neighbors. We get some insite on what Mrs. Bennett vallues and also where Mr bennett stands with his daughters. I think the personalities of of jane and Elizabeth have been defined.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Chapters 1-4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 1-4   Chapters 1-4 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 21, 2007 5:23 pm

You are right Karen.

Mr. Bennett's character has been defined. He is a hoot. We will find out later in his actions that he does do some things to Mrs. Bennett just to get a stir out of her.

I guess that's the way he deals with her.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 1-4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 1-4   Chapters 1-4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 1-4
Page 1 of 1