The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapter 7-9

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapter 7-9 Empty
PostSubject: Chapter 7-9   Chapter 7-9 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 4:41 am

This forum is for the discussion is for the discussion of Native Son, Chapter 7-9.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapter 7-9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter 7-9   Chapter 7-9 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2007 11:57 am

the narrator leaves the college for new york and is surpirsed to see the veteran on the same bus only he is heading for another institution in washigton dc. the narrator ca'nt belive blesoe so quickly acted upon getting rid of the veteran. whe the narrator gets to new york he is pretty good spirits and feels confident he will get a job by way of the letters he has from bledsoe. I was suspicious immediatly about the letters when bledsoe told him not to open them and true to bledsoes character we find that they actually tell all the gentlemen not to hire the narrator amd that he has done something trerrible that will damage the school. The narrator is 'lucky' in that the last place he goes to deliver the letter he actually meets the son of the addressee and is illuminated as to what bledsoe has done. he is now nearly out of $ and is desparate for a job knowing he will probably never go bad to the college again.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Chapter 7-9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter 7-9   Chapter 7-9 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 6:08 pm

I liked that the son of Mr. Emerson pointed out to the narrator, that not getting tangled up with men like his father, may in fact, be better for him in the long run. The narrator does find a job, but is stunned by this second betrayal.

I thought that SparkNotes talked quite a bit about Ras. I didn't even know who they were talking about, I had to go back and look. There are some areas of this book, and its symbolism that I seem to keep skimming over.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapter 7-9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter 7-9   Chapter 7-9 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 8:55 pm

Once again we are seeing the treatment and racism of the North vs. th eSouth. Booker T. Washington's era was interesting. Spark Notes said that the black man should put his efforts toward achieving economic success instead of social success. How can this happen separately?
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Chapter 7-9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter 7-9   Chapter 7-9 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 8:57 pm

I don't think that it can. I think that is the point that Ellison is trying to get the narrator/us to see.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapter 7-9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter 7-9   Chapter 7-9 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 9:03 pm

I see. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Chapter 7-9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter 7-9   Chapter 7-9 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 9:07 pm

Do you think so too? Question
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapter 7-9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter 7-9   Chapter 7-9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapter 7-9
Page 1 of 1