The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapter 1

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapter 1 Empty
PostSubject: Chapter 1   Chapter 1 Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2007 7:50 am

This forum is for the discussion of Stephen Crane's, The Red Badge of Courage, Chapter 1.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapter 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1   Chapter 1 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2007 3:31 am

Read the introduction and the first chapter. This book seemed to be over-analysed.

Maybe there will be a reason I can find after I read the book.

The book starts out introducing us to Henry who was a teenager who has this illusion of heroic proportion of fighting in the Civil War. Of course his mother tries to stop him. When leaving his little town he is looked up upon but when he gets to his troop he is the greenhorn or fresh fish.

I guess some of the teenagers in the past look at war differently. Our teenagers can see the war in movies and on television. In The 19th century they just had stories to listen to. They wanted to see it first hand.

The author also touches upon anticipation of war and needless gossip from boredom.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890

Chapter 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1   Chapter 1 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2007 7:15 pm

Henry is a young man that has just joined the army with grand expectations, now that the time for battle draws near he begins to question himself. Fear of failing himself and his expectations plays a large role for Henry, and I think that we will continue to see him battle with in himself.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapter 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1   Chapter 1 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 6:44 pm

Heny went to war with a romantic idea of how and what it was. When the time gets close to actually go to battle he questions his ability. I think this rings very true with what happened after 9/11. i knew lots of young kids who joined up immediately thinking they were going to whup some ass, only to be scared to death in the real mcCoy. This happened during WW II as with you grandpa, Brienne, and with my grandpa in WW I. their entire college classes joined up as a lark, with the promise they could all stay together in one unit. Little did either of them know that less than 1/4 of those units would make it back.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapter 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1   Chapter 1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapter 1
Page 1 of 1