The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 11-12

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 11-12 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 11-12   Chapters 11-12 Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2007 7:52 am

This forum is for the discussion of Stephen Crane's, The Red Badge of Courage, Chapters 11-12.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890

Chapters 11-12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 11-12   Chapters 11-12 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 10:40 pm

Henry is injured in an uncouragous manner. We are unaware of how bad the injury is at this point and how much is mental. A mysterious stranger helps Henry back on track to his regiment.

I liked reading about how all of the characters are refered to generally so to make them more applicable to any person. Henry's feelings themself, though they seem selfish are very realistic, and probably common to many.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 11-12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 11-12   Chapters 11-12 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 7:21 am

Getting on the bandwagon of over-analysing, I thought Henry was going through some real feelings of a young adult. Kind of like a sheep. Being joyous with triumphs and angry with disappointments. He isn't strong enough to make his own opinion. Maybe that's maturity.

I wonder what he will do about his injury? Will he give himself the badge of courage?
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapters 11-12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 11-12   Chapters 11-12 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 7:09 pm

the 'realness' of Cranes descriptions mad me think of other wars and other men and boys and how near to truth the feelings henry is going thru are to what thousands have felt before and since.
He wants to do the right thing but he values being alive he doesn't have the guts to tell his friend in his regiment what really happened and how he incured the injury. I don't think that would be out of the ordinary, either. I have known men who still embellish on their injuries. they don't want people to know they injured themselves while playing basketball or going to the latrine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 11-12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 11-12   Chapters 11-12 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 11-12
Page 1 of 1