The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Section 1 Chapters 4-6

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Section 1 Chapters 4-6 Empty
PostSubject: Section 1 Chapters 4-6   Section 1 Chapters 4-6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2007 3:52 am

This forum is for discussion related to Section 1 Chapters 4-6.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

PostSubject: Re: Section 1 Chapters 4-6   Section 1 Chapters 4-6 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2007 4:31 pm

In this section we see that Charles is excedingly happy with his life and the attention his wife lays on him. Emma, on the other hand feels a bit disillusioned by her marriage. The glimps into her history allows us to see that she has always held romantic and mostly unrealistic expectations.

I felt that the language used to describe Emma's history (the detail, over description, continued use of flowery and flowing adjectives) gave a stronger sense of her romanticism, than the actual wording in itself.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Section 1 Chapters 4-6   Section 1 Chapters 4-6 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2007 5:46 pm

I think Charles is a very tolerant man. He puts up with so much from Heloise. Surprisingly, he gets a second chance with her dying. I would think that he would have thought this through a little more.

Emma on the other hand was showing signs of discontent witht the planning of the wedding. It was not a little hint. It was pretty blatent (sp). Emma should have thought it out also. She knew this was not going to be a good beginning for her illusional life.

I think Flaubert was too premature at bringing out her discontent so early.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

PostSubject: Re: Section 1 Chapters 4-6   Section 1 Chapters 4-6 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2007 10:12 pm

I agree with you, Flaubert did bring out her discontent too early...Good Insight.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

PostSubject: Re: Section 1 Chapters 4-6   Section 1 Chapters 4-6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2007 7:38 pm

It was very convenient for Charles first wife to die and allow him a second chance at 'happiness' though i felt he was enamored with her physical attractiveness ie. lust, though that word was not used. Emma on the other hand, should have gotten a pretty good feeling from Charles prior to the marriage that he was not everything she hoped for in a mate. However, since she did not have a large dowery and because of the times shen the book was written and her exposure or lack there of, of oher happy marriages she was too naive to make a good choice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Section 1 Chapters 4-6   Section 1 Chapters 4-6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Section 1 Chapters 4-6
Page 1 of 1