The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Don Quixote Chapter X-XV

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Don Quixote Chapter X-XV Empty
PostSubject: Don Quixote Chapter X-XV   Don Quixote Chapter X-XV Icon_minitimeFri Nov 24, 2006 2:33 am

This thread is for: Chapters X-XV

Goal: to be read by December 10
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

PostSubject: Chapters X-XV   Don Quixote Chapter X-XV Icon_minitimeMon Nov 27, 2006 4:04 am

I enjoyed the change of pace that Chapters X-XV provided. Up until this point, it seemed that Don Quixote continues to beat up, or try to, everyone he meets. It is refreshing to have him meet people and interact with them, I feel like it gives us, the readers, a chance to get a feel for the other characters and people of the time.

I found it interesting that in chapter XII that DQ repeatedly interupts the story teller, to correct his grammer and references, showing that though crazy, DQ is educated.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

PostSubject: Thank goodness for Sparknotes   Don Quixote Chapter X-XV Icon_minitimeMon Nov 27, 2006 4:10 am

Once again, I cannot take credit for these ideas, but would found them good points that we can elaborate on. (Hopefully I will become more adept at identifying the underlying themes as we continue reading)

The first point, is that Cervantes uses Marcela as a critique of the outdated chivilary, by having her inteligently point out the problems with having men love her and die for her, based on her beauty alone. Her lifestyle also contrasts the current style of living for women of the time.

The second, being that not all stories are true. The problems with oral renditions of stories, ie. the stories of Marcella, are flawed. Thus increasing the uncertanty of the reader of Don Quixote's realness, a topic that Cervantes seems to play on through out the book so far.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Don Quixote Chapter X-XV   Don Quixote Chapter X-XV Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Don Quixote Chapter X-XV
Page 1 of 1