The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Don Quixote: Chapter XV-XX

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Don Quixote: Chapter XV-XX Empty
PostSubject: Don Quixote: Chapter XV-XX   Don Quixote: Chapter XV-XX Icon_minitimeFri Nov 24, 2006 2:39 am

This thread is for comments relating to Don Quixote: Chapters XV-XX.

Goal: To be read by December 17
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

PostSubject: Possibly?   Don Quixote: Chapter XV-XX Icon_minitimeTue Nov 28, 2006 12:12 am

After I read this group of chapters, I wonder if Cervantes is pointing out some of the 'every day' occurences, to contrast with the extravagant immagination of Don Quixote. The characters are described, on several occasions, and in great detail, vomiting and defecating. These very normal, "every day" activities do nothing to enhance or define the story, which makes me wonder...What is their purpose??
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Don Quixote: Chapter XV-XX   Don Quixote: Chapter XV-XX Icon_minitimeTue Nov 28, 2006 5:11 am

The beginning of the book was dragging. After I realized that this book wasn't just adventures, I was able to see that throughout the whole book DQ and Sancho are in comparision at every moment.

Sancho gives in to the insanity of DQ, gives up his comfortable life on the farm with Teresa, and compromises his own morals and ethics to conform to DQ's. I hope by the end of this book we know why? I will be very disappointed if this doesn't tie in somehow.

There has to be a reason why this is a classic.

Funny moment for me was the gold helmet that DQ found. I would never imagined the story that he came up with.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

PostSubject: Re: Don Quixote: Chapter XV-XX   Don Quixote: Chapter XV-XX Icon_minitimeSat Dec 02, 2006 2:11 pm

I read the analysis of chapters XV-XX. Their analogy is that the vomiting was a grasp for humor. I would not have guessed that. This humor is to appeal to all society groups. That is quite interesting that 400 years ago in the 1600's Cervantes was sensitive to the different classes that would read his book. One for Cervantes, I guess.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

PostSubject: Re: Don Quixote: Chapter XV-XX   Don Quixote: Chapter XV-XX Icon_minitimeSat Dec 02, 2006 2:27 pm

Another point that the analysis states is that as readers, we need to "play along" with the author's structural effects to get the meaning of the story. As a modern day reader I guess I have to get more into the book instead of trying to figure it out. I should dive into the imagination of the book instead of analyze it, I might enjoy it more.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Don Quixote: Chapter XV-XX   Don Quixote: Chapter XV-XX Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Don Quixote: Chapter XV-XX
Page 1 of 1