The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Don Quixote- The Overall Analysis

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Don Quixote- The Overall Analysis Empty
PostSubject: Don Quixote- The Overall Analysis   Don Quixote- The Overall Analysis Icon_minitimeTue Dec 19, 2006 8:27 pm

Ok, the book is done...What did everyone think? Any topics to discuss?
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

PostSubject: Re: Don Quixote- The Overall Analysis   Don Quixote- The Overall Analysis Icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2006 12:12 am

Yes, what the hay. DQ is back where he started. I guess that is what the book is all about, an adventure. I'm trying to put myself in the time that the book was written. Maybe that was the "ultimate" literature back then. Just a lot of talk about nothing or some point that is re-hashed.

Look at our time period now. Would we as educated people choose this as a classic. I probably wouldn't. I would like to know why it was chosen a classic. It's very hard to be empathetic with Sancho. During the whole book I felt DQ was totally crazy and should have some therapy. So the book had some "themes and motifs." So what. That doesn't make it so great.

Thumbs down from me.

This comment is from Marti - I logged in at work and didn't realize it was Kelley's log on.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

PostSubject: Don Quixote   Don Quixote- The Overall Analysis Icon_minitimeThu Dec 21, 2006 3:07 pm

After reading DQ, I too was surprised that it is considered such a classic, so I read a bit more about it on SparkNotes. It seems that the literary style was new for the time, and the play on chivilary and the distinctions between class and worth were all revolutionary.

Although I found that Cervantes made some interesting points, and some of the adventures and tangents were entertaining, I also found him redundant in making his points of chivilary, romance, and morality. There were many inconsistencies, which I suppose were to highlight his point, of comparing his fiction to the real world, but I thought it became a tedious read.

I do feel like I learned some about being a better reader, and I definitely noticed that the journaling was helping me to understand the book.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Don Quixote- The Overall Analysis   Don Quixote- The Overall Analysis Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Don Quixote- The Overall Analysis
Page 1 of 1