The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Book 1 Chapter 1

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Book 1 Chapter 1 Empty
PostSubject: Book 1 Chapter 1   Book 1 Chapter 1 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 5:46 pm

This forum is for the discussion of 1984, Book 1 Chapter 1.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Book 1 Chapter 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 1 Chapter 1   Book 1 Chapter 1 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2007 6:17 pm

I read this book in high school and it wa before 1984! I remember thinking it was a difficult read but this time around it hasn't been bad. I liked reading about George Orwells history.
I the first chapter we are introduced to Winston and his horrible life and horrible job. It seemed like a scary possibility whe I read about it the first time and got that feeling again.
Winston actually still has enough of a bit of humaness in him to wonder about what it might be like if things were different.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890

Book 1 Chapter 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 1 Chapter 1   Book 1 Chapter 1 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2007 12:37 am

I read this novel in highschool as well, but don't remember much about it. Chapter one, sets the stage for the novel, introducing Watson, his desires to be free and his fears. We see what kind of control the government has over each individual. (Maybe we should have all read this a bit before they okayed the Patriot Act???)
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Karen

Karen

Book 1 Chapter 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 1 Chapter 1   Book 1 Chapter 1 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2007 5:56 pm

Actually, I think MANY teachers make it required reading in high school. We are just too young, too into ourselves etc. to get the warning. too many people today don't read anything and wouldn't deign to pick up a book like 1984/ They would have to have it spoon fed to them just like we see happening in this book. Msybe that is how the current government in 1984 began...... with good intentions to help the masses and it got away from them!
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Book 1 Chapter 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 1 Chapter 1   Book 1 Chapter 1 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2007 1:17 am

Well, ladies sorry it took so long, but I had technical difficulties.

What stood out in my mind was the the Big Brother didn't even think that the proles were significant.

We do get a good foundation of this society.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Book 1 Chapter 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 1 Chapter 1   Book 1 Chapter 1 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2007 9:56 am

Yes Winston was pretty wrapped up in his little part of the world at first but as you probably saw, that does change. i saw parallels between his actions andwhat we do today with as far as disregarding or under valuing folks because of classism.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Book 1 Chapter 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 1 Chapter 1   Book 1 Chapter 1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Book 1 Chapter 1
Page 1 of 1