The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Book 1

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Book 1 Empty
PostSubject: Book 1   Book 1 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2007 12:50 am

This forum is for the discussion of The Return of the Native, Book 1: Chatpers 1-5 and Chapters 6-11.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Book 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 1   Book 1 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2007 4:28 pm

Book 1: Chapters 1-5:

We are introduced to some of the characters of the novel, but also the land that they live on. The land and its people seem rough and untamed. Many of the characters and what we know of their situations at this point, leave us with a sense of mystery.

I am finding the language of the locals difficult to understand at some points. I hope I am not missing a crucial part of the story that is hidden in their dialogue.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Book 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 1   Book 1 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2007 9:03 am

Book 1: Chapters 6-11:

In these chapters we start to get a feel for what the characters are made of, what their desires are, what motivates them. Venn is in love with Thomasin, Thomasin with Wildeve, Wildeve seems to love his power over women, and Eustacia is always looking for the next best thing.

So far I seem to care for Diggory Venn the most, but it will be interesting to see how this complex 'soap opera' works itself out.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Book 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 1   Book 1 Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2007 11:52 pm

This is another Jane Eyre book. It took so long to get into it.

I did notice that this book started with a "traveler" and that's quite ironic that this book is about the "return" of the native.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Book 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 1   Book 1 Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 12:44 am

Well, this book starts out SLOW. I still can't overcome that. Anyway, we get to know the countryside and culture. I assume this is so important because Hardy is going to compare lives with countryside.

We see that Eustacia loves Damon. Damon abandons her to marry Thomasin and Diggory got turned down from Thomasin. I peeked at Spark Notes. I'm glad I did, because now I know that the people are going to by compared with the "heath." Hah!
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Book 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 1   Book 1 Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 5:18 pm

Sometimes I am pretty sure that I wouldn't make it through these books with out SparkNotes. It really seems to get me back on track with what the author is talking about. This was definitely one of those books.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Book 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 1   Book 1 Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 7:38 pm

Book1: Chapters 1-5:
I was bogged down by the first chapter (way too much discription for my taste) but it has become more interesting. the language of the country folk is in dialect, which can make it difficult to follow, but I didn't see any hidden meaning in their discussion. I don't feel drawn to Tomasin. she seems very weak and timid at this point.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Book 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 1   Book 1 Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 7:41 pm

There is reference to the author having returned to his native home to write after having not been very successful a a writer in the city. The books he wrote while liiving on the real heath that he patterns this one after were all big successes. So the title may have an allusion to that
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Book 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 1   Book 1 Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 9:55 pm

Book 1: Chapters 6-11:
This was a better set of chapters. the plot is laid out and we meet many of the main characters. I liked the dog in the manger analogy for Eustacia afer she got the impression that a women 'under her' no longer wanted Wildeve. I like the turn of events that both of the haughty persons, Wildeve and eutacia began to have some self doubt.
I like Vinn, too. I wonder if there is more to his story than just being a dairy mans son.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Book 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 1   Book 1 Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 3:08 am

I agree that the first chapters were awful. I did seem to move along with the chapters after that.

Glad to see that you picked up the next book right away Karen. I would have had to have a stiff drink after that Anna book. I read a light book inbetween.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Book 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 1   Book 1 Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 2:34 pm

I think that I read that Hardy created an entire 'fictional' country (based on England) he called Wessex, and that many of his books were written based on this country and its people. I thought that was interesting that he created such an intricate 'subject' for his writings, and that the technique was so successful.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Book 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 1   Book 1 Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 6:07 pm

Hardy uses the word 'native' often. Including when Eustacia considers going to church to see Clym.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Book 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 1   Book 1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Book 1
Page 1 of 1