The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Book 4

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Book 4 Empty
PostSubject: Book 4   Book 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2007 12:52 am

This forum is for the discussion of The Return of the Native, Book 4: Chatpers 1-4 and Chapters 5-8.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Book 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 4   Book 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2007 2:48 pm

Book 4: Chapters 1-4:

For as much as I think that I am becoming a better reader, picking up the underlying meaning, recognizing and appreciating the symbolism, valuing the subtle political points made by authors, etc.; I read SparkNotes and realize how much more I have to learn. I found the concept of 'quietism' interesting, "the blind that can now see" portrayal of the technique is perfect (now that I know what the technique is.)

As far as the story line goes, we are starting to see how the personalities of the women are beginning to clash. Each character's personality and actions effects the whole (and I am assuming on some level the heath).
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Book 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 4   Book 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2007 3:45 pm

Book 4: Chapters 5-8:

The Blame Game
Everyone seems to want to blame someone for their misfortune. Wildeve and Eustacia are constantly talking about whose fault it is that they are not together or why their lives have turned out this way. Eustacia blames herself then the fates for not answering her door. Mrs. Yeobright blames Eustacia for turning Clym against her. (I think we can assume more blame is to come.) No character holds themself accountable for the actions they have taken nor look into the role of coincidence, it is all finger pointing.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Book 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 4   Book 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 4:25 am

I agree with you Kelley, the blame game is good. I also think that the most interesting character is Diggery. He is all for Eustacia and goes to extremes. It will be interesting how this one turns out.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Book 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 4   Book 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 5:21 pm

It is interesting how different we all read into each book! I thought that Diggery was just making it seem like he liked Eustacia to get to Thomasin, his real love. I thought every character used manipulation to reach their goals.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Book 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 4   Book 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 3:09 am

It's amazing that Diggery is willing to wait for his love. He is a happy go lucky fellow that goes with the flow.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Book 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 4   Book 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2007 9:56 pm

Eustacia and Clyms relationship deterorates. Surprise! Cym knew why eustacia maried him and still went through with it. Was there ever any real love or just mutual attraction with both hoping to attain something they wanted. E, a ticket out of the heath and C, a helpmate for the school.
I liked reading about quietism in Spark notesand thought it described Cym well. i think it is the back bone of some of the more popular philosophies of today as well.
Wildeve is again interesed in Eustacia. they are better matched, both being slef centered. i would think diggory would want those two to hook up and leave the country so he can swoop in and resucue Tamsin.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Book 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 4   Book 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Book 4
Page 1 of 1