The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Book 3

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Book 3 Empty
PostSubject: Book 3   Book 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2007 12:51 am

This forum is for the discussion of The Return of the Native, Book 3: Chatpers 1-4 and Chapters 5-8.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Book 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 3   Book 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2007 1:44 pm

Book 3: Chapters 1-4:

I was very greatful for the SparkNotes Commentary on this set of chapters. Though I understood what was taking place with the characters, I found it more interesting to learn why this novel was considered so progressive and what the style of writing means for the piece of work (especially with the examples).

It was sad to find out that Clym was so attached to Eustacia, who doesn't love him, but the idea of what he could be to her.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Book 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 3   Book 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2007 2:23 pm

Book 3: Chapters 5-8:

Love=Possession
The relationship between Clym and his mother brings up many interesting issues regarding the mother/son relationship. Though SparkNotes seems to imply that this is an unusual situation, I believe that many mothers (still today) have a hard time watching their sons with a new woman, someone else to care for him, and often times don't think that they are good enough.

SparkNotes also discusses the demonic qualities of Venn, I still like him, and think that he seems like a nice guy, doing what he can for the woman he loves. A sort of Robin Hood.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Book 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 3   Book 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 4:23 am

Clym is the main character and Hardy is showing us that he is a righteous dude. He is giving up wealth for a more "wholesome" life. Didn't we read about that in another book. Mrs. Yeobright is showing us that she is not a nice woman. It falls right into the time period that this was written.

Clym is not thinking with his head and only with his heart. Eustacia just wants to leave heath and go to Paris. Clym didn't see ahead, just like Madame Bovary.

I do like Diggery Kelley.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Book 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 3   Book 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2007 5:19 pm

I did not see any demonic quilities in diggory unless you count the fact that he is red. So what? i have never reado or heard of a reddleman until I read this book which kind of surprise me since I have read a lot of english novels.
I think the relationship between Clim and his mother was right onn the mark for how it is even unto this day, as maybe marti pointed out. i actually think it is worse for mothers of sons to adjust to the new wife than mothers of daughters adjusting to the new husband.
Clim knows from the time he proposes to Eustacia that she really wants him for where he can take her. I don't know why he did not listen to himself.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Book 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 3   Book 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2007 10:54 pm

I thought that all of the relationships had at least one person 'who knew better' but they didn't listen, and ended up not being verry happy. A lot of forshaddowing!!
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Book 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 3   Book 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2007 3:29 am

Just a side note Karen, out here in Delta they use blue coloring to see which ewes get some. LOL
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Book 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 3   Book 3 Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2007 9:42 pm

Marti-i had no idea! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Book 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book 3   Book 3 Icon_minitime