The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 39-45

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 39-45 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 39-45   Chapters 39-45 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2007 9:11 am

This forum is for the discussion of Uncle Tom's Cabin, Chapters 39-45
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 39-45 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 39-45   Chapters 39-45 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2007 12:55 am

Cassy and Emmeline are very smart. They set up a "ghost"-like appearance so Legree will be afraid. They pretend to leave and hide in the garret. The sadness of this is that Tom is beaten because he won't tell Legree the ladies plan. Tom states that he has seen God and there is nothing he can do to him to tell.

The goodness of the story comes back when George Shelby, Cassy, Emmeline and Madame Thoux meet. I think Stowe is trying to bring out that there is goodness when your faith is in God. She also brings out that on the border states of Kentucky and Ohio there is a lot of mixed feelings of slavery. The deeper the south the harder the masters are on the slaves.

I was surprised that Liberia was a safe place for freed slaves. I never knew that.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890

Chapters 39-45 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 39-45   Chapters 39-45 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2007 1:24 am

What a beautiful sacrifice and lesson in the end. I am glad that Tom got to see that Mater George never forgot him.

The escape was pretty ingenious I must say!
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapters 39-45 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 39-45   Chapters 39-45 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2007 12:54 pm

Tm suffered an enormous amount and yet always held on to his faith. he was pormised his freedom and had it snatched wy yet he never got angry. Stowe tried to protray that in the end he was beyond feeling the blows that legree gave him because he would not tell where the women were.
I appreciated that Stowe tied up loose ends so neatly with the reunions of some families and that people found happiness, ie. topys and prbably Marie St Clares mammy, if Marie moved back to her fathers place. george harris and eliza found happiness, money and education along with extended family. Some people never found happiness, ie. Chloe and Tom never found worldly happiness though we ar led to believe he found everlasting happiness.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 39-45 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 39-45   Chapters 39-45 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 39-45
Page 1 of 1