The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 82-92

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 82-92 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 82-92   Chapters 82-92 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 23, 2007 7:55 pm

This section is for discussion re: Chapters 82-92
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890

Chapters 82-92 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 82-92   Chapters 82-92 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2007 12:12 am

I enjoyed reading about the Great Armada. It seemed that the whalers in the boat that got stuck in the middle of the group, gained a bit more understanding and respect for the species that kept their young and mothers in the center and safe. I agree with SparkNotes, that more and more the characteristics in these chapters made the whales seem 'human like', thus making the hunt and killing a tragic murder.

I didn't understand the point of the pirates. SparkNotes says it was to show the continuous movement and life of the ocean, but I thought if it was going to have any purpose at all, this is one area he should have elaborated a bit more. I wasn't even sure what had happened, then we were back to chasing whales.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 82-92 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 82-92   Chapters 82-92 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2007 6:16 am

We visit greek mythology, pitchpoling, spouts and isolation and self-containment of being a whaler. Back to the story the Grand Armada takes place. That was very interesting. It brought the Pirates and the whalers interactions together which to me seems realistic. They only get one whale, but oh well.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapters 82-92 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 82-92   Chapters 82-92 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2007 8:11 am

I thought the part about the ambergris was interesting. I also thought about jojoba oil and wonder if it comes from whales.
The honor code wasn't apparent when Stubb tricks the Rosebud into leaving the rotting whale so he could get the ambergris. Gosh was a nasty job that would have been.
I liked the various references to the Greek mythology, British legends, the Bible, Perseus, St. George, Hercules, & Jonah. Some of those things have been coming to mind all thru the book. Again, melvelle demonstrates how 'learned' he was!
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 82-92 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 82-92   Chapters 82-92 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2007 8:36 am

I also enjoyed the part with the ambergris. The whales had so many products that they could harvest.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 82-92 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 82-92   Chapters 82-92 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 82-92
Page 1 of 1