The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 10-21

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 10-21 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 10-21   Chapters 10-21 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 23, 2007 7:49 pm

This section is for discussion re: Chapters 10-21
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890

Chapters 10-21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 10-21   Chapters 10-21 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 25, 2007 6:56 am

In the begining of this section I agree with SparkNotes that Melville is working with the ideas of race, religion, and maybe even sexuality a bit while describing Ishmael and Queequed. I was surprised when I was reading it, thinking that for the times that it must be almost shocking, so I was interested to read that that was the goal.

Elijah seems to foreshaddow some mystery which in conjunction with the mysteries surrounding Ahab, his temprement, and his injury is making me really look forward to what is coming.

I like that Queequed was taken aboard for his skill, instead of turned away for his race or religion. I did think that it was interesting how well he was compensated for his skill. I think that many times people who have a discriminatory characteristic, are given much less money. Sometimes it is even thought that being "allowed" to partake in the occassion should be compensation enough.

Pretty progressive ideas, I think.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapters 10-21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 10-21   Chapters 10-21 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 25, 2007 8:40 pm

I was surprised to have the scene in the bedroom described as it was. I agree with you, Brienne, that there was defiatley sexual overtones and that was not expected.
I wonder if Elijah sailed with Ahab?
the two captains knew they were getting their moneys worth with Queequed and it was gratifying to see they were willing to pay for it. They played good guy/bad guy against Ishmael and made him think he was getting a good deal at 300 worth when he had in mind 275 or even 200 lay! That was a pretty good trick on their part.
Ishmael has misgivings about the trip especially after meeting Elijah but obviously not enough to think of quitting the plan.
I liked the bit of humor when one of the captains referred to Queequed as hedgehog.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 10-21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 10-21   Chapters 10-21 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 27, 2007 3:58 am

I also agree that the relationship with Ishmael and Q is odd. In the Spark Notes they say that they are married in Q's culture. For Ishmael to accept this is quite odd being a Christian. I understand that Q doesn't make any sexual advances to him, but the instant bond that they have and both accept is quite different. I do like the fact that Q is a son of a King and is heir. Q chooses to leave and follow his own dreams and desires. I was also glad to see that he was hired for his skill.

I liked it when Ishmael picked up on the sabbath-like behavior that Q had and respected that. Q's little friend Yoko is interesting in its own way too. I do like how Captain Ahab already has an emotional tie to Moby-Dick and he has recently been wounded. I also like the fact that Captain Ahab is so mysterious in the beginning of the voyage.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapters 10-21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 10-21   Chapters 10-21 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 27, 2007 8:07 pm

It was intereting that Ishmael was so tolerant of Queeqegs religious ways!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 10-21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 10-21   Chapters 10-21 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 10-21
Page 1 of 1