The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 17-19

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 17-19 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 17-19   Chapters 17-19 Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2007 9:09 am

This forum is for the discussion of Huckleberry Finn, Chapters 17-19.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890

Chapters 17-19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 17-19   Chapters 17-19 Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2007 2:46 am

Chapters 17-19:

In an action packed couple of chapters Huck and Jim's raft is overturned, they managae to make it to shore surrounded by two feuding families. They escape back to the raft, but end up with two additional travelers, cons who pretend to be royalty.

Jim and Huck are traveling in hopes of freedom, but we see that as they travel south, slavery is more prolific, and their trials are becoming more frequent.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 17-19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 17-19   Chapters 17-19 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2007 12:25 am

I actually thought that Huck might get a little soft spot for the Grangerford's family. I wonder if Huck was really upset that he left the family.

Huck and Jim are behind the eight ball. Huck is a kid and Jim is a slave. They really don't have much to work with exept their cleverness.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapters 17-19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 17-19   Chapters 17-19 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2007 7:18 am

this section was like a mini side story. I thought Huck really did cae for the grangers especially buck, who welcomed Hucks presence. Huck may have felt this was a home and family like homes and families were supposed to be. It was over the top that the feuding families would completely wipe each other out and there was no intervention from the law or other people in the area but after reading Spark Notes I understood were Twain was going with this.
I liked that Jim was loyal to Huck and hung around waiting for him when he could have gone on. They were interdependent on one another I think. Having to serve the two villians however, showed just how weak thier position truly was and that even though they felt safe on the river it was tenuos at best
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 17-19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 17-19   Chapters 17-19 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 17-19
Page 1 of 1