The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 22-31

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 22-31 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 22-31   Chapters 22-31 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 23, 2007 7:50 pm

This section is for discussion re: Chapters 22-31
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Chapters 22-31 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 22-31   Chapters 22-31 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 25, 2007 8:06 am

In this section we get to know the rest of the crew. I thought that there were some interesting notes in the analysis of this chapter re: the way the Mates and their help was assigned compared to the geography and culture of America. (which I can honestly say I didn't even remotely pick up on)

These chapters continue to play on the topic of race and equality on the ship. We also begin to see the theme of power and authority emerge.

Also Ishmael seems to become more of just a narrator v. a large part of the story, in fact we occassionally see other character's internal thoughts.

At the very end of the chapter we hear Ahab refer to the "white whale".
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Chapters 22-31 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 22-31   Chapters 22-31 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2007 12:10 am

Oh and another reference to Bunyan and Cervantes.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapters 22-31 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 22-31   Chapters 22-31 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 27, 2007 8:11 pm

We are exposed to the singlemindedness of Ahab as well and in his assertion that ALL the crew will serve him in his mission. he is able to get Starbuck to agree even against his better judgement. We are then allowed a little insite on what the crew members are thinking indivdually about what they have gotten themselves into.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 22-31 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 22-31   Chapters 22-31 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 27, 2007 11:25 pm

When getting into this book I thought how boring, but now I'm seeing that Herman Melville is trying to achieve. He wants to write the longest book he can to see if he can. The descriptions in this book are wonderful, but they do drone on. I also need to remember this was written 200 years ago. They had less entertainment at that time. Now adays we are in such a fast paced world that we want fast paced stories to keep our interest.

I also realized that "harpooners" were a special breed just like the cowboy in the west at this time. They are in their own world and culture from language to traditions.

Culture is brought into this book in a lot of ways, from the cannibals to the New England "harpooners."
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapters 22-31 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 22-31   Chapters 22-31 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 28, 2007 8:34 am

Yes, once again we have an author who really pads his description. I do think that was the style of the day. James fenimore Cooper/ Hawthorne and others all did the same. We are used to newspaper style writing which is spare. many of todays books lean that way and i agree with you we are in a hurry up society that wants to get to the point.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 22-31 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 22-31   Chapters 22-31 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 22-31
Page 1 of 1