The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 26-28

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 26-28 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 26-28   Chapters 26-28 Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2007 9:10 am

This forum is for the discussion of Huckleberry Finn, Chapters 26-28.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Chapters 26-28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 26-28   Chapters 26-28 Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2007 5:03 am

Chapters 26-28:

We see Huck growing even more, as he finally decides to tell the sisters of the scam. I thought that SparkNotes made a good point about the difficulty of morals surrounding slavery compared to robbery with, "Huck seems relatively unfazed when he hears that the dauphin’s plan to liquidate the Wilks’s property will require the separation of a slave woman from her children. Huck confesses to Mary Jane not because he is upset about the splitting of the slave family but because he feels bad that she is upset about it. Twain implies, through Huck’s struggle with the issue, that the attitudes and assumptions that enable racism and slavery in the South are deep-seated and difficult to overcome."
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 26-28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 26-28   Chapters 26-28 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2007 12:56 am

I think that Huck is softening up. I still feel that Huck thinks that racism is something that can't be changed or manipulated. I also feel that Huck's hormones are directing him to help Mary Jane. In every man there is good, but your heart leads the way.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapters 26-28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 26-28   Chapters 26-28 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2007 5:07 pm

I enjoyed both of your responses. The attitudes whites had toward blacks were so ingrained Huck was behaivng as any white boy would who lived in that area. It reminds me a little of mens attitudes toward women back in the day and how incomprehenisble it was form men of certain era's to contemplate a woman being independent, maybe not marrying as a choice, and speaking her mind.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Chapters 26-28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 26-28   Chapters 26-28 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2007 10:41 pm

Mom-
Do you think you view the story differently after reading Finn. I think it would be interesting to read about the racial struggles after the concepts placed by reading Clinch's novel.

(if that sounds cryptic, it is because I am trying not to give anything away yet, Marti is still reading Finn)
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapters 26-28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 26-28   Chapters 26-28 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 12:11 pm

i think i ama reading huckleberry finn with a completely different perspectivethan i was prior to 'Finn'! I loved reading Finn though and remembering certain passages from huckleberry
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 26-28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 26-28   Chapters 26-28 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 26-28
Page 1 of 1