The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 10-13

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 10-13 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 10-13   Chapters 10-13 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2007 9:07 am

This forum is for the discussion of Uncle Tom's Cabin, Chapters 10-13.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 10-13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 10-13   Chapters 10-13 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2007 8:40 am

Tom is tragically taken away. The character he has is incredible. He gives up his own happiness to make sure that the farm is secure with all the rest of the slaves. Haley takes Tom from his home and stops at a blacksmiths and gets handcuffs to fit Tom.

In a small Kentucky Inn there is a sign that states that a light Mulatto slave has run away. George is at the Inn and see’s Mr. Wilson. As we remember Mr. Wilson is the factory owner who helped George. They go up to George’s room and discuss the situation. Mr. Wilson states that he’s breaking the “law.” George questions whose country is he breaking the law. I totally understand this. Stowe really brought up a good point. Not only does George detest the South, he also detests the entire country and wants out. I guess I haven’t thought of it that way. Some of the slaves just go north and think that it’s a free place. George is thinking beyond this and wants out of the country that could do this to him. He gives Mr. Wilson a pin to give to Eliza when he gets back. George is going for all or nothing. He is told that he needs to believe in God if he wants to survive.

Some moving quotes that I found were as follows:

Treat ‘em like dogs, and you’ll have dogs’ works and dogs’actions. Treat’em like men, and you’ll have men’s works.

“the Lord made ‘em men, and it’s a hard squeeze getting ‘em down into beasts,”

These are so true.

Eliza meets the Quakers who welcome her. I am surprised at the Quakers. Not that they are helping, but they are helping mankind. They make a statement that no matter if it was a slave or a slaveholder, they would help anyone in distress. Eliza and George get reunited and are going to leave with Harry when it gets dark.

I read the Spark Notes about “Uncle Tom.” They state that "Uncle Tom is a symbol of a slave who listens to his master and is content with his life. I never had that thought, but then again I never read Uncle Tom before.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890

Chapters 10-13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 10-13   Chapters 10-13 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2007 3:07 pm

The contrast between George and Uncle Tom is striking. George is willing to do almost anything for freedom and he feels as if God is not present for him. Tom is willing to sacrifice, knowing that in the end he will get his salvation.

I am glad to see Eliza and George reunited and most likely on "the underground railroad' to freedom.

In chapter 12 we see Stowe utilize Lucy and her child, to directly speak to the reader about what is happening wth the slave trade. She shows the true grit of emotion and then addresses the reader specifically, (which shows how persuasive she is trying to be, sort of an early day subliminal message, since you don't always notice when she does it)
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapters 10-13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 10-13   Chapters 10-13 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2007 7:28 am

Stowe makes some generalizations about the black race that may have seemed to be true at the time but were actually racist even though they were'kind' . ie. that the people as a whole are gentle and loving and home bodies always placing family first. that may have been what she was exposed to but certainly couldn't be and isn't true for all.
I really understood Birds view when he could stand with other members of the congress and vote for the bill not to help slaves. he envisioned 'a small dirty man with a pack on his back' not women or children. I think I do that when thinking about illegal immigration. I think of the people trying to get into the states as a big block, not individuals with individual stories, which of course, they all are.
Mr. Wilson represents the wishy washy in all of us. Knowing what we should do but being afraid to do it.He made some attempts to help George earlier but then decided and probably rightly, he culd do nothing more for him when Georges owner removed him to his own plantation. Know he is in a better position to help him, but he waffles.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 10-13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 10-13   Chapters 10-13 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 10-13
Page 1 of 1