The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 7-8

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 7-8 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 7-8   Chapters 7-8 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 17, 2007 5:10 pm

Hester visits the Governor's mansion and apparently that is good enough for them. Hester hears rumors that if her child is human it needs to be brought up in a Christian home. That sounds counter-productive. If someone were to raise her as their own, she would still have the sin follow her. I can't imagine the Puritans forgiving and forgetting.

I do like the twist that the Governor's sister is into witchcraft. Hopefully that will come out a little more to make it interesting.

I would like to know what you think about Hester willingly keeping this lifestyle of of misery which in turn transfers it to her daughter. If Hester was such a devoted Puritan she wouldn't have committed adultery. Therefore, since by the action of adultery she should have left Boston and tried to make a new life for Pearl. I don't know a lot about the Puritan religion, but some religions forgive and move on (except for the Mormon's they shun people too). Maybe someone can enlighten me about these religious beliefs.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 7-8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 7-8   Chapters 7-8 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 3:19 am

I think that it is sad that Hester considers her daughter a living reminder of her sin. Pearl is “the scarlet letter endowed with life.” I think that as a mother she should give her daughter a chance as her own person and a chance at a 'normal' life, instead of physically and verbally branding her.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Chapters 7-8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 7-8   Chapters 7-8 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 4:53 am

That's what I didn't understand too about Hester. She put Pearl through the sin too. Pearl was so aware of the letter on her mothers dress and it made Pearl an "odd" child. Pearl had no good social skills because of this. I don't think it was right either.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 7-8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 7-8   Chapters 7-8 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 5:47 pm

I thought it became obvious that the minister was the father of her child by the force of hesters intreaty to have him speak for her when the governer was considering removing her child from the home. What was she feeling when she saw that her husband had attached himself to the minister? What about pearls preternatural ability to feel the connection between the minister and her mother?
The author alludes to the Puritan life that many had sinned and were still sinning but had been fortunate enough not to have physical evidence of such. I believe this to be the case with all human kind and the respective religions.

the governors sisters name almost sounds like a real historical character of that time. How interesting that she was allowed to be as she was, at least while her brother was in office!
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Chapters 7-8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 7-8   Chapters 7-8 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 9:38 pm

I could almost agree with the governor's sister. She was playing with witchcraft, but I get the governor was no angel either.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 7-8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 7-8   Chapters 7-8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 7-8
Page 1 of 1