The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 5-6

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 5-6 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 5-6   Chapters 5-6 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 17, 2007 4:42 pm

Months later Hester gets out of prison with Pearl. She settles into a cabin away from town. She chooses to stay in town to apparently atone for her "sins."

Her embroidery talent is wonderful. The Puritans want to shun her, but will take her needlework for everything except marriage garments. That's sounds a little hypocritical to me. Well I don't think they are running on all cylinders anyway.

Pearl is intrigued with the scarlet letter on her dress. Another sign that Pearl is some kind of different creature. I think she will blossom in some way or another. I don't know how much time will pass in this book, but Pearl is a key part.

I did like the line "Pearl is a flower growing from sinful soil." I don't agree with it but it is well written.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 5-6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 5-6   Chapters 5-6 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 19, 2007 3:24 am

It is sad to me, to think that Hester would stay and submit her daughter to the judgements of her peers for any reason. The adultry and pregnancy were selfish acts, and to continue to stay for any of the reasons offered is selfish too.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Chapters 5-6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 5-6   Chapters 5-6 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 19, 2007 3:35 pm

I agree that it was selfish. There is a lot of things that Hester does that I personally couldn't do. I guess she was trying to make a point. Not sure what it was. She continued her life in such a martyrdom way.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 5-6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 5-6   Chapters 5-6 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 5:40 pm

Maybe hester wasn't in a good position to leave Boston. she may not have had the funds. Or maybe she did feel a lot guilt amd really did wish to atone.
I like the description about Pearl being so named because she came at such a price to her mother. The author does paint Pearl as a 'naughty' child which carries through most of the book (i'm on chapter 20, just catching up on the notes to the other readers!) but she was certainly well spoken a knowledgeable for her 3 years.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Chapters 5-6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 5-6   Chapters 5-6 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 9:36 pm

I think you might be right about Hester not being able to leave, but when she was left by her husband she had to make her way. She was very resourceful and that makes me believe with her talent she would have survived anywhere.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 5-6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 5-6   Chapters 5-6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 5-6
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Well Educated Mind Reading Group :: Novel Section :: The Scarlet Letter-
Jump to: