The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 24-26

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 24-26 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 24-26   Chapters 24-26 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 19, 2007 11:22 pm

For discussion related to Chapters 24-26
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 24-26 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 24-26   Chapters 24-26 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 21, 2007 8:55 pm

What a web that is being weaved. Can we even remember who is after who and for what.

The Spark Notes suggest that the Gardiners are her most sensible relatives. I don't think so. If Austen is writing about class-conscious courting, I'm lost. The Gardiners are as prejudice as Miss Bingley. So far I think Elizabeth is the only one who has "pride." She is prejudice, too. She believes Wickham about Darcy's past. Where does it end.

The Gardiner's accept Jane to visit in London to "get her mind of things," it is only setting her up to look for Bingley. That doesn't seem like a good solution.

Mr. Bennett seems to be a bumblehead. Does he even work anymore. He seems to retreat to his Library and the only pleasure he gets is to irritate Mrs. Bennett.

Spark Notes states that Mrs. Gardiner is aware that Bingley is too high class for Jane and Jane is too high class for Wickham. Mrs. Gardiner is so aware of this and the bottom line is that the "family" will be affected by this. Big Deal. I figure you marry low and marry high, it all works out. LOL.

I am a little shocked at Elizabeth. She is having a double standard. She thinks its OK for Wickham to marry King for the money, but she doesn't think its OK to marry for a comfortable life (lack of love), meaning Charlotte. She was my hero in this book, now I'm scratching my head on this one.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Chapters 24-26 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 24-26   Chapters 24-26 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2007 4:08 am

I saw these few chapters as a sort of 'enlightening' period. Jane sees Miss Bingley for who she really is, Elizabeth sees Mr. Wickham marry for money, Elizabeth and Jane discuss real feelings, and discuss Charlotte's lot.

Marti- I thought that Elizabeth thought that it was OK for Mr. Wickham to end up with King, because if you are the type to marry for money, then he was the type that she didn't want to end up with anyway, but I am getting ready to read SparkNotes for more insight.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Chapters 24-26 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 24-26   Chapters 24-26 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2007 4:11 am

I also think that we hold our friends and loved ones to higher standards than the rest of society. It is a lot more hurtful to see a close friend (Charlotte) lower her standards and marry for postion, than it is for an aquaitance to do the same thing, don't you think?
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 24-26 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 24-26   Chapters 24-26 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2007 10:41 am

I think it is more heart-wrenching. I do think now a days in our society it is more acceptable. Women and men have more options and our society is willing to accept these changes.

Example: The movie "The Pursuit of Happyness" with Will Smith is about a gentlemen who was very poor and broke into the stock broker's world. He is now a millionaire. I'm sure he earned the respect of the whole stock broker society. His son who was along with him during the journey has more options because of his hard work.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapters 24-26 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 24-26   Chapters 24-26 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2007 7:50 pm

I found Mr. Bennett to be much like men of this era when it comes to what their daghters are thinking/doing. "better left to the women" and retreating from any serious conversation. Had there been a son in the novel, he may have had another side.
It seems ok somehow if the moneyed perso deigns to marry beneath themselves but not ok for some one of litle $$$ consiquence to desitute themselves by marrying into a poor family.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Chapters 24-26 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 24-26   Chapters 24-26 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2007 11:40 pm

I think that is a good point. Leave that sort of stuff to the women. It would be interesting to see how different the family dynamics would be if there were a son.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 24-26 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 24-26   Chapters 24-26 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 24-26
Page 1 of 1