The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 38-41

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 38-41 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 38-41   Chapters 38-41 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 21, 2007 8:06 pm

This forum is for thoughts related to Chapters 38-41
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 38-41 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 38-41   Chapters 38-41 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2007 5:31 pm

Monk is playing a big part in these chapters. He makes everyone believe that the locket is lost forever. He retrieves it after the Bumble's leave.

As it says in the Spark Notes, the book is mainly a mystery. I am enjoying the turn of events.

Charles Dickens has done an excellent job of creating a mystery and portraying the life and society of the times.

I think it is great that Rose and Nancy bond. I didn't really pick it up that Rose was a penniless orphan (Spark Notes stated this). Now I understand that she wants to help Nancy. I can be very empathetic with most of the characters, but I can't understand why Nancy doesn't want to better herself and get out of the life she's in.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890

Chapters 38-41 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 38-41   Chapters 38-41 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 03, 2007 8:09 pm

Just when I think that I am making headway and figuring outt who is who, Monks is Oliver's brother?!? I didn't see that coming, and it confuses my original guess at who was who.

It is an interesting play between the (ever present) issue of nature v. nurture. I think that this is most profound between Rose and Nancy. Both characters have a natural good and virtuous heart (nature) but the circumstances of their raising (nurture) has clearly caused them both to lead very different lives and become very different people, despite a similar situation at birth.

This book is just getting better and better!
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 38-41 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 38-41   Chapters 38-41 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 04, 2007 1:42 am

Agreed!
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapters 38-41 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 38-41   Chapters 38-41 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 04, 2007 4:21 pm

I did n't find it surprising that Nancy wouldn't leave Sikes, even if it meant betering her circumstances. Besides the age old attraction/commmitment women sometimes make to men, even when they are total losers (and the woman knows it!) Nancy had lived with the Fagin gang so long, she probably felt it was hopeless to even try to get out. They would only bring her back. she went out on a limb as far as she could to try and save oliver who had only been involved for a short time, and thus could possibly make the break.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 38-41 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 38-41   Chapters 38-41 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 38-41
Page 1 of 1