The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 3-4

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 3-4 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 3-4   Chapters 3-4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2007 12:49 pm

Interesting little section. Didn't think that the hubby would even be a part of the initial plot. He sent her forward to Boston and she committed adultery. He doesn't have much self - esteem if he thinks that a man like himself would never make a woman like her happy. He possibly set her up for failure.

Hester is of strong character. For some "odd" reason she doesn't want to get this accomplice in trouble. Chillingsworth (appropriate name chill) says that he will figure it out by the way Hester acts in the future. He told her he was going to do so. Hester should be smart enough to understand this.

Nice beginning. Not what I expected. Pretty interesting.

I do like the Puritan times.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 3-4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 3-4   Chapters 3-4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 19, 2007 2:46 am

I also wasn't expecting the husband to show up, especially so soon. He is indeed cruel to admit that he shouldn't have married her, but to not help her be free of him.

Again, I hate that I read the SparkNote analysis for this chapter, as it gave a little too much away...although I am pretty excited to read about it now, and see the paralels.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Chapters 3-4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 3-4   Chapters 3-4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 19, 2007 3:33 pm

I was surprised that Chillingsworth was so weak that he would rather want revenge than the truth. He boasted so much that he was such a good Puritan and followed the ways.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 3-4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 3-4   Chapters 3-4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 5:35 pm

I thought it too convenient that Chillingworth appeared just in time to see his wifes ignomy. he left her to her onw devices for TWO years! how was she to know he was even living? He was greedy to marry her in his autumn years when he was much older and not physically handsome. Bt it was also silly of her to consent to the marriage. i got the idea that if the townfolk knew for sure that her husband was still living they would have killed hester, but since he could have been at the bottom of the sea, she might not have been 'married'. thus her lesser sentance. I thought chilingworth sounded disgusting but I also thought the description of the minister, whom i suspected as the father of hesters child, as weak.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Chapters 3-4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 3-4   Chapters 3-4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 9:34 pm

I read later in the book that she married because of economical and social class pressure. This would be to her benefit "marry up" as we are learning. Remember he was a scholar.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 3-4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 3-4   Chapters 3-4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 3-4
Page 1 of 1