The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 1-2

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 1-2 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 1-2   Chapters 1-2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2007 8:37 am

The setting is introduced. Hester makes a statement with the wonderfully embroidered letter “A” on her chest. She has this daughter that she embraces as reality.

I find it odd that the Puritan colony makes prisons and cemeteries as one of their first line of business. They know and feel that sin will be everywhere and the need for the prison and cemetery will be necessary immediately.

The scaffold is going to come back in play again. It is the center of their social culture. I am curious as to how.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 1-2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 1-2   Chapters 1-2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 19, 2007 1:31 am

I thought that SparkNotes brought up an interesting point, in how the townspeople fixated on the scarlet letter, but very little was said about the baby. Clearly a baby is a longer lasting "sign of her sin" and much more 'real' than an embroidered letter.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Chapters 1-2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 1-2   Chapters 1-2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 19, 2007 3:32 pm

That is a very good point. Farther in the book you will see that the point is brought out.

Excellent insight.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 1-2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 1-2   Chapters 1-2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 5:30 pm

I liked the allusion to the rose bush and the succor it could provide the prisons inhabitants. it comes to play later in the story as well.
I agree the townfolk did not besmear the baby, but perhaps they felt she was the unfortunate result and not really to blame. I was surprised that they let hester keep the baby. I thought it likely in those days they might have taken it away immediatly or gotten rid of it.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Chapters 1-2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 1-2   Chapters 1-2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 9:32 pm

I'm not surprised that they let her keep the baby. It seems that they wanted to drag the punishment on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 1-2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 1-2   Chapters 1-2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 1-2
Page 1 of 1