The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 20-24

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 20-24 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 20-24   Chapters 20-24 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2007 3:58 pm

This forum is for the discussion of The Portrait of a Lady, chapters 20-24.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 20-24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 20-24   Chapters 20-24 Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2007 3:59 am

Chapters 20-24:

I knew that Merle was going to turn out to be manipulative. It seems that she and Osmund have created quite a scene to draw in Isabel, who is falling for it hook, line and sinker. I am surprised that Osmund is so forward about needing to soon find a way to finance the raising of his daughter, it seems as if that would scare off Isabel.

I thought that SparkNotes made some interesting notes about writing technique used in the novel. (I even picked up on the descriptions of the houses foreshaddowing the owners personality.)

This book is SLOW!! I am having a really hard time sticking with it.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 20-24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 20-24   Chapters 20-24 Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2007 8:57 pm

I didn't know that Merle was going to be so manipulative, but you are right Kelley she is. What is Merle's drive?

Osmond is a schmuck. He outright tells Isabel that he needs income for his daughter Pansy. That was bold. I just don't get it, Isabel is not as smart as Ralph thinks she is. If she is taken in by his "good manners" she has low expectations. I was surprised.

Are all these "European" literature novels portraying stupid women or what?

This book is slow and I can only read one section that we are journaling on at a time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 20-24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 20-24   Chapters 20-24 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 20-24
Page 1 of 1