The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 21-22

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 21-22 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 21-22   Chapters 21-22 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 18, 2007 6:17 pm

Chillingsworth makes a passage to Europe to taunt Hester. Dimmesdale makes his speech to the townspeople. Hester looks on. Chillingsworth approaches her and states that Hester and Pearl can go on the ship by themselves and he will make arrangements for Dimmesdale. The whole crowd is staring at them. Dimmesdale has surmised that "resistance is futile." (per Spark Notes) and Chillingsworth will haunt and taunt them for the rest of their lives.

I agree Chillingsworth is the most evil character. Spark Notes refers to the "dominant order" and Dimmesdale gives in to this theory.

The plot thickens and as readers we probably wonder what, if any, more attempts to leave they will make. It is a bold act for them.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 21-22 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 21-22   Chapters 21-22 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 7:36 pm

Did you catch how Chillingsworth knew that Dimmesdale was going to leave? After reading this section I thought perhaps hester, Pearl and dimmesdale would pretend to board but not actually get on and the ship would sail with Chillingsworth. By Dimmedales demeaner as he walks in the 'parade' it is obvious He doesn't know that Chillingsworth is planning to be on board.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Chapters 21-22 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 21-22   Chapters 21-22 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 9:47 pm

That would have been a good plan if they used some more common sense. Hester, Dimmesdale and Pearl could have gotten away.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 21-22 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 21-22   Chapters 21-22 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2007 4:34 am

I also wondered about how Mr. Chillingsworth found out that they were trying to leave?

I agree with SparkNotes that these chapters seem to tell us that Hester's sin, the attention, the shame will never go away.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Chapters 21-22 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 21-22   Chapters 21-22 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2007 4:37 am

I would not put it past Chillingsworth to find out this information. He is a sly old puppy. I wonder how often a ship will sail back to England.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 21-22 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 21-22   Chapters 21-22 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 21-22
Page 1 of 1