The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 18-23

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 18-23 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 18-23   Chapters 18-23 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 19, 2007 11:22 pm

For discussion related to Chapters 18-23
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 18-23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 18-23   Chapters 18-23 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 21, 2007 5:50 pm

Interestingly enough Mr. Collins is from a lower class and doesn't know how to handle dealing with the proper etiquette of proposal. He asks Elizabeth and, of course, is turned down a few times. He just doesn't get it. He then asks Charlotte and she accepts. Charlotte is willing to give her pride up to have a "comfortable" home for the rest of her life. Elizabeth is not willing to give this up. She doesn't want anything to do with Mr. Collins.

I'm beginning to think that Elizabeth's character is the strongest of them all and will in the future find happiness with Darcy, who is a strong man also. Elizabeth is getting more and more upset with her whole family regarding their manners.

Miss Bingsley is an imp. She is just starting trouble by implying that Darcy has eyes for her. These woman are rude in any time period.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Chapters 18-23 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 18-23   Chapters 18-23 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2007 3:05 am

When I read about Charlotte and Mr. Collins, I appreciated the fact that it draws attention to the difference in character amongst the women and the difference in relationships between the key couples.

But more than anything, don't you read about Charlotte and wish this was an act that died with times. It is so heart wrenching to think of women marrying like this, but as we all know it continues to happen today...and we often see the sequela of these marriages a couple years later.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Chapters 18-23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 18-23   Chapters 18-23 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2007 10:35 am

It is a shame that it is still being observed. I think now a days the middle class is probably the most flexible in our society. I wonder if the European society still keeps up these traditions.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapters 18-23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 18-23   Chapters 18-23 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2007 9:11 am

The fact that Charlotte would choose someone as insipid as Mr. Collins in trade for security is disgusting but it is instilled in women to this day. Think of the women who will marry men 3 time thier age for money and power. It wa probably really something to read this book in austens day and have a character as strong as Elizabeth. I bet men were scandalized and at least a few women secretly admired her, though there would have been a good few who would not have seen her point. If Elizabeth gets Darcy and her turns out to be wonderful, then 'a happy ending' she got her cake and the frosting too.
I find Mr. collins absolutley disgusting. He actually spend time formatting compliments in his mind to pave the way for his gratuitiousness. YUCK
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Chapters 18-23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 18-23   Chapters 18-23 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2007 5:53 pm

I'll have to double check, but I think that I read that at the time, this was one of Austen's least popular books, and that it was turned down from publishing until well after several of her other books were popular. I also think that it said that this book didn't become popular til quite a bit after her death. Maybe that is due to Elizabeth's strong nature and people's inability to sympathize with her character.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Chapters 18-23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 18-23   Chapters 18-23 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2007 9:24 pm

I think you are right Kelley. This book was published after her death.

There are a lot of sequels to this book too. None by Austen, of course.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 18-23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 18-23   Chapters 18-23 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 18-23
Page 1 of 1