The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 6-9

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 6-9 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 6-9   Chapters 6-9 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2007 9:06 am

This forum is for the discussion of Uncle Tom's Cabin, Chapters 6-9.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 6-9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 6-9   Chapters 6-9 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2007 5:13 pm

The chase is on. Mr. Haley finds out that Eliza and Harry have fled. The Shelby’s both feel remorse that they had to sell Harry, but are secretly glad that she did flee. Sam and the other slaves all work together to delay Haley. The trick with the beechnut was quite amusing. To the best of my knowledge Kentucky was a border state where they didn’t have far to flee to freedom. The border states on the northern side would support the capture of slaves, but would not keep any of their own. Crossing the Ohio River was a great feat for Eliza. I have seen the Ohio River and it is extremely wide. It isn’t anything that someone could swim, even if they were fit. When she crossed the ice patches to get to the other side, she must have had help from above. Sam and Andy report the news with joy to Mr. and Mrs. Shelby.

The Senator and his wife have a very interesting discussion. Remember the “Great Awakening” that I referred to before. The new colonies were going through some growing pains with religion. First they wanted freedom of religion and they ended up dictating through society and peer pressure that religion was the foundation of their goodness. That’s what they were suppose to be running from in England. The colonies strayed away from religion and “the Great Awakening” brought back religion as a foundation. Well this book’s setting and time is during that era. Everyone and everything is referenced back to being a good Christian. Abolishionists were good Christians. The South was evil and weren’t Christians. Stowe is capturing the essence of the dilemna with the bordering states. I think it is well done. Not only is she portraying the horrors of the slaves, but the countries state of confusion at that time.

The Senator states “Obeying God never brings on public evils.” He is so wrong. Well on the outside the Senator has to support what the people want, but in reality he is a soft as his wife Mary. Women are the advocates for justice. Quoted from the book, “your heart is better than your head,” states Mrs. Shelby to Mr. Shelby. He takes Eliza and Harry to an abolishonists retirement home deep in the woods of Ohio. The Senator gives $10 for Eliza.

Can you see that I’m enjoying this book a lot more than MD. What a change. I guess we can’t all like the same things.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Chapters 6-9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 6-9   Chapters 6-9 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2007 4:20 am

I think it is interesting to see how the current culture and political pressures had such an influence over Mr. Bird, that he was a vocal proponent of tougher regulations, but in truth felt the oposite. I wonder how often that happens in todays polotics??

I also like the role that the women play in this book, and it is interesting to me to read what SparkNotes has to say about the subtleties each role plays.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Chapters 6-9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 6-9   Chapters 6-9 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2007 2:14 pm

I agree with you about the women in this book. They are not in the forefront of the decision making, but they sure do have an influence.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapters 6-9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 6-9   Chapters 6-9 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2007 4:31 pm

I really enjoyed the chase and the road confusion that Sam orchestrated. I thought it might be difficult to read in dialect but I found myself getting so into the story that it flowed easily. I agree with you both that the women we have been introduced to play a vital role in their respective homes. I like getting a portrait of aunt chloes kitchen.
I think it is likely that politics then and now may be more similar than we would like to believe.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Chapters 6-9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 6-9   Chapters 6-9 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2007 12:47 am

What kind of politics do you mean Karen?
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Chapters 6-9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 6-9   Chapters 6-9 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2007 4:16 pm

I am referring to US politics, where n a person may run with big idea's, thinking they may make changes and find out that they are stuck with the status quo to keep their jobs due to presssure from fellow legislators.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Chapters 6-9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 6-9   Chapters 6-9 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2007 12:42 am

I think that is a good point, although I think it is sad that people will give up their values for their career, instead of risking their career for their values.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Chapters 6-9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 6-9   Chapters 6-9 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2007 2:23 am

People with money can afford to have more principles. Sometimes we have to make concessions.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Chapters 6-9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 6-9   Chapters 6-9 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2007 9:46 pm

Sometimes it has more to do with what one could lose... like your children being terrorized by the opposing views more violent factions, ie. the ku klux klan, or the school bullies. Even in my own little world, when my husband pissed some people off and we received anonomus threats. it kind of makes you think about how much iit is all worth to stand up for what is right. that's why I really admire people who do because there is often so much more going on than we ever really know. Check out the moviedocumentary 'The hunting of the President'.
This all ties in neatly with Uncle Tom.....Just kidding!
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Chapters 6-9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 6-9   Chapters 6-9 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2007 12:06 am

I will check your recommendation out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 6-9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 6-9   Chapters 6-9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 6-9
Page 1 of 1