The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 32-36

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 32-36 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 32-36   Chapters 32-36 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2007 3:59 pm

This forum is for the discussion of The Portrait of a Lady, chapters 32-36.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 32-36 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 32-36   Chapters 32-36 Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2007 1:49 am

What is wrong with Isabel?

I do agree with SparkNotes that James is trying to tell us that Isabel is lost. She has accepted a horrible marriage because of bad judgment and now she has to pay the price.

I think that Isabel is not as clever as everyone thought. I don't understand what made everone in awe with her? I never understood that. I read a couple different reviews on this book and a couple of them really hated Isabel. She is suppose to be the "heroine" right. Isn't she supposed to be liked? At least that is what the author is trying to tell us. I'm confused.

This book is probably an attempt for an American writer to write like the European ones. He has a little different outlook because he has lived in both countries.

I do not like the "heroine."
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 32-36 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 32-36   Chapters 32-36 Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2007 2:11 am

Chapters 32-36:

I thought that the literary technique in this section of chapters was interesting. We originally were taken through every step and every conversation and thought surrounding Isabel's life. Now we are thrown from one interaction to the next, time passing in noted through bits of conversation. Events that would seem to be important the wedding and the child's birth and death aren't even mentioned.

We are led to assume that Isabel's marriage is as difficult as we originally thought, but also that she has allowed her husband to give her no rights or voice at all. It is difficult to tell if this is truely what is happening or M. Merle's opinion/wish/slant on things.

We also see that Merle is still a present figure in the relationship, but that she is jealous of Isabel and Pansy's relationship.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Sponsored content

Chapters 32-36 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 32-36   Chapters 32-36 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 32-36
Page 1 of 1