The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 1-4

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 1-4 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 1-4   Chapters 1-4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 04, 2007 8:41 pm

This forum is for discussions of Jane Eyre, Chapters 1-4
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890

Chapters 1-4 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 1-4   Chapters 1-4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2007 4:04 am

The first four chapters seem to give us a good picture of Jane. She reminds me a bit of both Elizabeth from P&P and Oliver. At this point she is naturally good and tries very hard to please, but also has a sense of independence that allows her to stand up for herself.

I also believe that her confinement and extreme agitation regarding seeing the ghost will be a repeating issue for Jane, especially since she herself has brought it up several times, in just the first few chapters.

And of course, the reference to Gulliver's Travels was nice, especially in the fact that I feel like an educated reader. This is one of the first times that a book refers to a "classic" and I have even the remotest idea of what they are talking about. YEAH!!
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 1-4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 1-4   Chapters 1-4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2007 3:36 pm

I am excited about this book too. I think that Spark Notes states that the novel will be a gothic novel, suspenseful and supernatural. That will put a little twist in on the Victorian lifestyle of classes that we have encountered in the last few novels.

This novel re-inforces the fact of the classes and that death can come to anyone, not just one parent and at bad timing. The class-consciousness also grows from generation to generation. It also falls from generation to generation.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapters 1-4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 1-4   Chapters 1-4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2007 8:17 pm

yes that was cool about the reference to gullivers travels. I was reading another novel the other day which referenced it, as well! Certain lines from the classics come up in other reading material, that previously, i would read and not realize there was anything paticularly special about them. Now I know! Jane Eyre explores the social and class conciousness of her nineteenth-century society. We start again with an orphan in down trodden circumstances treated poorly by her relatives. Again there are those few who are truly good, ie. the apothacary and the maid, who allow Jane to understand that she is not despicable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 1-4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 1-4   Chapters 1-4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 1-4
Page 1 of 1