The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 29-32

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 29-32 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 29-32   Chapters 29-32 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 21, 2007 8:04 pm

This forum is for thoughts related to Chapters 29-32
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 29-32 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 29-32   Chapters 29-32 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2007 3:43 am

OK, I think that it is really ironic that Rose takes Oliver in when she does know that he was "probably" part of the robbery. She does have a pre-concieved notion about Oliver. It is correct. He has had a lot of bad luck.

I am happy that he has had three months of nurturing and love shown to him by Rose and her Aunt. I do wonder what is going to go wrong with this picture.

Oliver does show that nature overcomes nurture because he wants to go visit Mr. Brownlow and the housekeeper. He is saddened by the fact that they have moved to the West Indies. Why have they moved. Maybe it is because he doesn't want to face the fact that Oliver is a thief and he is his grandson. If Mr. Brownlow has money, which he does, taking himself away from the situation would make it easier.

Spark Notes stated that the "inquisition" of Oliver at the Aunt's house was just like a courtroom. The great thing is that he did have a say and he was believed to have given them the truth. This, hopefully, gives Oliver a little more self-confidence.

Spark Notes did say that the parallel of Oliver being accepted into the "family" of the Aunt and Rose was also supported by moving to the countryside.

Charles Dickens, in my opinion, is an optimist in this book.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapters 29-32 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 29-32   Chapters 29-32 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2007 8:13 pm

i thought it was unrealistic that rose would take Oliver in, but it was also when he was taken in by Mr. Brownlow. They just 'sensed' he was at heart, a really good person.
What did you think of the Spark notes comments on the higher athority of God, if Giles and Brittles should say for sure that oliver was invloved with the crime that they would be condemned by God for sending oliver to his death?
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Chapters 29-32 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 29-32   Chapters 29-32 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2007 8:20 am

I think that it is a good point that it is unrealistic of these upper class individuals to keep taking Oliver into their homes, when we have been inindated with references to how the English population as a whole viewed the poor as lazy, dirty, and sneaky.

SparkNotes keeps pointing out that many of these interactions are to play as a contrast to the other environments Oliver has been in and the characters to play roles that he has never experienced, i.e. the motherly role Rose plays.

These areas also show that Oliver is good at heart, and other 'good' people sense that about him. When Oliver is put in a bad environment he tries his best to good and stays faithful that things will work out, when placed in a 'good' environment, Oliver is allowed to be himself.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Chapters 29-32 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 29-32   Chapters 29-32 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2007 8:21 am

Mom

I thought that was interesting use of guilt the doctor utilized to keep the house staff from turning in Oliver. Obviously when faced with the possibility of being condemned to hell, both were quick to turn a blind eye.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 29-32 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 29-32   Chapters 29-32 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2007 5:12 pm

I think it is interesting that so many people have to live with the fact that they are so close to death all the time. Many of the characters are widowed or orphaned. All the characters have had a loss. This is the time when the bubonic plague took place. It is an era where personal hygiene and public hygiene is at a low. The society just accepts this. Maybe this is a reason why they accept people more freely in their homes and in their hearts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 29-32 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 29-32   Chapters 29-32 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 29-32
Page 1 of 1