The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapter 7

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapter 7 Empty
PostSubject: Chapter 7   Chapter 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2007 8:08 am

This forum is for the discussion of F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby, Chapter 7.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890

Chapter 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter 7   Chapter 7 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 6:00 pm

In this chapter it all comes to a head. At the tea, Daisy and Gatsby are unable to keep their feelings a secret and Tom realizes their affair. They leave to New York, where a confrontation takes place. Both men are vying for Daisy's affection, but Tom wins out in the end. Heading home Nick/Tom/Jordan see that a woman has been killed by a hit and run driver, it is Tom's lover.
We later realize that Daisy was driving, but Gatsby will take the blame for her, because he loves her. Gatsby continues to be in love with what Daisy is in his mind's eye, and never really sees her for who she really is, even in the face of the death.
Nick betweens to read between the lines, and differentiate the real from the superficial, regarding Jordan/Gatsby/Tom/Daisy.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapter 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter 7   Chapter 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2007 10:49 pm

Not much to say, Gatsby is killed and Daisy must know that it will only cause more sadness. I didn't understand Daisy's motive. Doesn't she realize that it will only weave the web thicker.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapter 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter 7   Chapter 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 7:16 am

Daisy is indecisive about her feelings for Gatsby and her husband. I think with more time she would have left Tom. she just wasn't ready to be confronted so quickly. Gatxby didn't help by pushing her to decide right then. I thought it was uncharacteristic of Tom to allow Daisy to ride aback to Egg with Gatsby. I would have thought he would want that crushed immediately. Then too, there was Toms sadness seeing Myrtle dead, even though he had vowed to be a better husband to daisy if she would stay with him. I think he would have carried on his affair anyway. Tom knew who owned the car and was happy to point Wilson Gatsby way probably hoping for a convenient end to gatsby
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapter 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter 7   Chapter 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapter 7
Page 1 of 1