The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 2-4

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 2-4 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 2-4   Chapters 2-4 Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2007 7:51 am

This forum is for the discussion of Stephen Crane's, The Red Badge of Courage, Chapters 2-4.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 2-4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 2-4   Chapters 2-4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2007 11:04 pm

In these next few chapters Henry sees a little more of battle. He doubts himself and the author puts Henry in different situation to make his conscience questioned. Henry is given a letter from Jim Conklin to give to his parents. Jim thinks this will be his first and last battle. Henryis faced with more reality of war.

The author using "the red monster" as a symbol of war. Going back to my entry of color, I think that we will see more metaphors in color.

OK I'm off the color thing now.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Chapters 2-4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 2-4   Chapters 2-4 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 9:16 pm

Henry continues to doubt himself as they get closer and closer to battle. The dead man they come across brings up the "Question". The meaning of life? The meaning of war? The fragility of life? The meaning of one among many?
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapters 2-4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 2-4   Chapters 2-4 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 3:49 pm

the author protrays what seems like meaningless movement here and there, wasting the men's time and energy. It seems like a dream to the young soldier and he continues to get a feel for the emotions of the men around him.
when the battle finally becomes iminent he sees many men, older and more experienced than he in total dissaray, portraying the haphazardness that is most likely a very real part of any battle.
the authors sentences are choppy, I think, do either of you guys? It doesn' flow real smoothly for me.
I contunue to the the use of color and a variety of color related terms, Marti.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Chapters 2-4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 2-4   Chapters 2-4 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 4:23 pm

I didn't notice that it was choppy exactly, but I have noticed that every so often a rush of activity will happen, and I have a hard time figuring out exactly what has happened, I think because of the writing style.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 2-4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 2-4   Chapters 2-4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 2-4
Page 1 of 1