The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Despair- Ignorance

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Despair- Ignorance Empty
PostSubject: Despair- Ignorance   Despair- Ignorance Icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2007 3:37 am

I wonder why Christian receives so many chances at salvation. Many of the pilgrims traveling to the Celestial City make a wrong turn, and are punished by perishing or ending up wandering blind, etc. Yet Christian has made many wrong turns, and has always been rescued, and given another chance. Why does he get so many chances, when others are punished??

SparkNotes discusses the importance of the difference between Christian and Ignorance. Ignorance believes that he has lived a good life, and that is enough for him to get to Zion. Christian points out that you must believe that you sin and ask for forgiveness. Therefore, Ignorance cannot travel as quickly as Christian and Hopefull, because you must have 'knowledge and understanding to make progress' of the 'body, soul and mind', and Ingnorance does not have these.

Sometimes I think that Christian has gained much knowledge on his journey, but at other times he seems very weak and easily tempted. ??
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Despair- Ignorance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Despair- Ignorance   Despair- Ignorance Icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2007 4:26 pm

I agree with you about Christian gaining knowledge through his journey. Knowledge is gathered by experiencing the journey, which Christian has done.

I think Christian's character gets all the chances at achieing his goal symbolizes hope. Bunyon is using Christian's character to reflect on his own life, right? Didn't the intro say it. Bunyon's lesson in life was writing this spiritual journey.
Back to top Go down

Despair- Ignorance
Page 1 of 1