The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pope & Pagan- Despair

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Pope & Pagan- Despair Empty
PostSubject: Pope & Pagan- Despair   Pope & Pagan- Despair Icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2007 2:12 am

I felt that we see through Faithful's journeys, that the pilgrimage is different for each traveler, and that each pilgrim is succeptible to different temptations. Although I think that Christian learned some from his two companions (Faithful and Hopeful), his character seemed to grow the least amount in this section. Christian was strong through the Vanity Fair and with Demas, but was easily swayed to take the easy path, and then was so distraught with guilt, ready to take his own life in the dungeon, instead of thinking rationally or keeping his mind on God.
I think that Christian grew more when he traveled in solitude, and faced temptions independently. (although, I do see that the pilgrim's help to keep each other on the path)

I felt that Faithful showed much stronger character during the indictment than Christian did. Faithful spoke up for his beliefs, alone, knowing what that would mean for him. Christian stood silent. Does this mean that Christian has more growing to do on his journey??
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Pope & Pagan- Despair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pope & Pagan- Despair   Pope & Pagan- Despair Icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2007 4:30 pm

Good point. I didn't pick it up, but I think you are right. Christian needs to grow more on his journey. Faithful was a lot stronger than Christian.

Man, I just don't get all this that is between the lines. I appreciate reading your comments.
Back to top Go down

Pope & Pagan- Despair
Page 1 of 1