The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Third Level of Inquiry: Rhetoric-Stage Reading

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

The Third Level of Inquiry: Rhetoric-Stage Reading Empty
PostSubject: The Third Level of Inquiry: Rhetoric-Stage Reading   The Third Level of Inquiry: Rhetoric-Stage Reading Icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2007 2:16 am

Do you sympathize with the characters? Which ones, and why?

Does the writer's technique give you a clue as to her "argument"- her take on the human condition?

Is the novel self-reflective?

Did the writer's times affect him?

Is there an arguement in this book? Do you agree?
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

PostSubject: The Third Level of Inquiry: Rhetoric-Stage Reading   The Third Level of Inquiry: Rhetoric-Stage Reading Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2007 4:12 am

Do you sympathize with the characters? Which ones, and why?

I think that it is difficult to be sympathetic with the characters, because they really have no definition as characters. They almost 'lose qualities' as they progress into being completely faithful. It is easier for me to identify with characters with flaws and human-ness.

Does the writer's technique give you a clue as to her "argument"- her take on the human condition?

I think that the story itself identifies the author's take on the human condtion, sin, and the difficulties of the journey of faith. More interestingly I think the differences between the way the author portrays Christian's journey and Christina's journey. Christian had a personal journey of faith with areas of weakness and personal growth. Christina faced very little 'personal' difficulties, and all of the adversaries are met by a guide or a male character.

Did the writer's times affect him?

The author started writing this book while he was imprisoned. Some of the prison scenes are most likely similar to some of the situations he saw. We also know that he was persecuted for his religion and this book may have not only been to inspire, but also a form of showing his persecutors that he, like his characters, would continue their journey's of faith regardless of what stands in their way.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

PostSubject: Re: The Third Level of Inquiry: Rhetoric-Stage Reading   The Third Level of Inquiry: Rhetoric-Stage Reading Icon_minitimeTue Jan 16, 2007 8:01 pm

the writer was affected by his times in that England was in and had been in a religious upheaval for over 50 years. it was the most encompassing thing going on in England at the time. Many educated folks spent time reflecting on this, writing upon this and discussing with one another. An opinion was expected of them. Getting to heaven meant being Godly on this earth and what better way than to research and write for the masses?
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

PostSubject: Good Point   The Third Level of Inquiry: Rhetoric-Stage Reading Icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2007 4:28 pm

I think that you are right, mom. I think that we see bits of this next book too. Thanks for the posts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Third Level of Inquiry: Rhetoric-Stage Reading   The Third Level of Inquiry: Rhetoric-Stage Reading Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Third Level of Inquiry: Rhetoric-Stage Reading
Page 1 of 1