The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Third Level of Inquiry: Rhetoric-Stage Reading

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

The Third Level of Inquiry: Rhetoric-Stage Reading Empty
PostSubject: The Third Level of Inquiry: Rhetoric-Stage Reading   The Third Level of Inquiry: Rhetoric-Stage Reading Icon_minitimeThu Dec 21, 2006 4:49 pm

Do you sympathize with the characters? Which ones, and why?

Does the writer's technique give you a clue as to her "argument"- her take on the human condition?

Is the novel self-reflective?

Did the writer's times affect him?

Is there an arguement in this book? Do you agree?
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

PostSubject: Re: The Third Level of Inquiry: Rhetoric-Stage Reading   The Third Level of Inquiry: Rhetoric-Stage Reading Icon_minitimeThu Dec 21, 2006 11:04 pm

Sympathy - I don't sympathize with the characters. I was cheering in my heart when DQ got his #@!$ kicked. The average person probably did too. He was quite self-centered and over confident in the book. The average person is not going to sympathize with such a putz.

Sancho on the other hand is probably as dumb as a box of rocks, therefore, feeling sorry for him would be understandable, but only for a little while. He continually feeds into the troubles that arise.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

PostSubject: Re: The Third Level of Inquiry: Rhetoric-Stage Reading   The Third Level of Inquiry: Rhetoric-Stage Reading Icon_minitimeThu Dec 21, 2006 11:11 pm

Writer - The writer's time affected him in a large way. As Kelley stated this kind of writing was new for the time. The distinctions between class and worthiness were revolutionary. Maybe that is why it is a classic. Many of the new "classics" or best sellers have some of these traits. They had to start from somewhere.

Is there an argument in this book?

The only one I can think of is chivalry vx. scholar.

Marti
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

PostSubject: Third Level   The Third Level of Inquiry: Rhetoric-Stage Reading Icon_minitimeThu Dec 21, 2006 11:59 pm

Did the writer's times affect him?

I thought that it really helped to read about Cervantes growing up, being taken captive, his views towards the Moors, etc, helped shed some light on his views towards some of the characters in his book. Especially his views on the Moors, and his story of Zoraida and the captive.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

PostSubject: Re: The Third Level of Inquiry: Rhetoric-Stage Reading   The Third Level of Inquiry: Rhetoric-Stage Reading Icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2006 12:01 am

OK now that I have a new book of The Well Educated Mind I can refer to things also.

I was in the journal chapter. A real good question is:

What important point is the writer want to tell me about?

OK - That would be DQ/Sancho's loyalty, chivalry, and most of all a mad man's quest. I now refer to "The Impossible Dream" lyrics.

........This is my quest, to follow that star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far................

........To be willing to march into hell with a heavenly cause............

.........That my heart will be peaceful and calm when I'm laid to my rest.......

I just love that song. The lyrics make the novel romantic (oh crap, am I getting soft).

So DQ's quest is for a loved one. He will stop at nothing for his love. AWWWW.

Marti rendeer
and.........To be willing to die so that honor and justice may live.........
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

PostSubject: Third Stage   The Third Level of Inquiry: Rhetoric-Stage Reading Icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2006 12:04 am

Does the writer's technique give you a clue as to her "argument"- her take on the human condition?

I think that Cervantes writing technique is part of why this book stood out both in history and during the time that he wrote it. He uses his style of writing directly to the reader when he talks about the truth of the story and how he is transcribing this story and contrasts that to the stories that are passed from one goatherd to the next, in a sort of telephone style, and contrasts that to the fiction that is noted by telling the stories that are written in the novels and manuscripts. I think that Cervantes highlights his points and his parodies in this use of style.

(the arguement, in my opinion, revolves around chivalary, honesty, morality, intent, and loyalty)
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

PostSubject: Stage three   The Third Level of Inquiry: Rhetoric-Stage Reading Icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2006 12:20 am

Is the novel self reflective?

After reading the paragraphs on self reflection, I believe that DQ is self reflective in the sense that Cervantes reflects on his writing of the novel with in the novel. (i.e. when he discusses writing the prologue in the prologue, and discusses translating Benegali's work)

I also think that in the second book, when DQ is aware that his stories have been written and published, the book is exceptionally self reflective.

Many of the characters in the book read or like to be read to, and there is constant debate over the nature of books and manuscripts, especially those of knighthood. Many of the characters that cannot read or write, utilize oral story telling.

Reading seems to be a 'class' ability in the book as well. Which I think adds to the confusion of why DQ can be of class to read and crazy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Third Level of Inquiry: Rhetoric-Stage Reading   The Third Level of Inquiry: Rhetoric-Stage Reading Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Third Level of Inquiry: Rhetoric-Stage Reading
Page 1 of 1