The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 32-40

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 32-40 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 32-40   Chapters 32-40 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 23, 2007 7:51 pm

This section is for discussion re: Chapters 32-40
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890

Chapters 32-40 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 32-40   Chapters 32-40 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2007 4:51 am

In these chapters there are many digressions from the 'actual story'. Ishmael tells the classes of whales as well as indepth descriptions of some of the activities on board the vessel. (Which is interesting he has such a great knowledge of these things, being new to whaling this journey).

We also get a new sense of Captain Ahab as he discusses his purpose in capturing Moby Dick. This siloloquy contains several pieces of information.
1. we start to question the captian's sanity
2. we see that there is more mystery (foreshaddowed) surrounding Moby Dick
3. we begin to see interactions and conflict in the 'upper' members of the crew (which is then paralleled with the conflicts in the lower crew members, a couple of chapters later)
4. We begin to see more of the danger and futility of this trip (already once foreshaddowed by Elijah)
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapters 32-40 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 32-40   Chapters 32-40 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 27, 2007 8:22 pm

I got ahead of myself in the last reply and referred to ahabs exhortations for his men to follow and their reactions! I was surprised to see the play like qualities of one of the chapters in this set where various seamen respond to one another. Each person spoke with some relationship to their geographical background, it seems. A fight nearly breaks out between the biggest and blackest man, Daggoo and a spaniard for what some like a racial slur but an impending storm breaks up the fight.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 32-40 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 32-40   Chapters 32-40 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 27, 2007 11:33 pm

I think these chapters were very interesting, but LONG. The pecking order is established and Ahab toasts to Moby-Dick's death.

The game is on.

Good observation Kelley.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapters 32-40 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 32-40   Chapters 32-40 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 28, 2007 8:35 am

I am ready for the adventure to really begin~
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 32-40 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 32-40   Chapters 32-40 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 32-40
Page 1 of 1