The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Final Thoughts

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Final Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Final Thoughts   Final Thoughts Icon_minitimeSun Feb 18, 2007 6:55 pm

I really enjoyed this book. Chillingsworth has no scruples about his behavior. I really didn't expect the way the plot took. It was a different aspect of a class conscious society. Class-conscious more in the public scrutinty eye. The ones who abide by the Puritans beliefs and the ones who don't. They all still remain in the society and take the class that they are subjected to. Our society has come a long way with society and its parameters. Sometimes I think we need a little more society driven behavior (in the positive sense). We have come a long way.

With this country being so anti-God, it is ironic that it was the beginning of our country. We seem to forget that. I do understand progression and evolution of a society, but this book showed me again that evolution of our society has come a long way.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Final Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Thoughts   Final Thoughts Icon_minitimeFri Feb 23, 2007 8:07 am

I liked the story but did not like the eloquent writing style. I'm sure it is because i am used to reading novels that get right to the point and are written at a much lower educational level. I had trouble staying with it and only did because I wanted to see what happened.
Yes, Marti this book took a look an social conciousness and how valuable it was to do the 'right' things. Mr. Dimmesdale could not face public condemnation for his sin because he would have been completely ruined. Chillingworth was the same way. He could lead a life of comfort as long as he was anonamous in the role as Hesters husband but would have been the object of gossip and speculation had it been known.
However there was the line at the end which said once Chillingworth left Pearl a great deal of money and land the townspeople tended to forget her 'stain'. I guess that type of thinking has never gotten old!
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890

Final Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Thoughts   Final Thoughts Icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2007 4:56 am

Thank Goodness that is over...that was as hard for me to read as DQ...it just drug along...I didn't care about the characters....arghhh....

I hope the next one is a bit better...
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Final Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Thoughts   Final Thoughts Icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2007 12:49 pm

I did care about both hester and Pearl. I didn't have any sympathy for Dimmedale. the book was a difficult read, though! I peeked a Moby Dick and I think it will be easier although ther are over 100 chapters! Eeeek
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Final Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Thoughts   Final Thoughts Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Final Thoughts
Page 1 of 1