The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Unrelated to the Chapters

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Unrelated to the Chapters Empty
PostSubject: Unrelated to the Chapters   Unrelated to the Chapters Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2007 10:57 am

A new contreversal book about Huckleberry's father. Sounds right up our alley!!
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

PostSubject: Re: Unrelated to the Chapters   Unrelated to the Chapters Icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2007 5:45 pm

i think this may be a good one too. I have read about 6 chapters of Huckleberry finn and can see that his dad plays a big role in his life at least at this point!
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Unrelated to the Chapters   Unrelated to the Chapters Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2007 3:07 am

My guess is this one will be better than Ahab's Wife. I think I will be able to relate to it more because I have read Tom and Huck a few times.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

PostSubject: Re: Unrelated to the Chapters   Unrelated to the Chapters Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2007 8:09 am

I found some discussion questions for Finn on two different web sites. Some questions may be redundant, I tried not to read them while I posted them, so it wouldn't spoil any of the story for me! I can't wait for this one girls. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

PostSubject: Re: Unrelated to the Chapters   Unrelated to the Chapters Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2007 8:55 pm

oh goodie!
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

PostSubject: Re: Unrelated to the Chapters   Unrelated to the Chapters Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2007 9:12 pm

They are HERE!! Karen, our copies of Finn came today, just in time for our trip! WooHoo! I was worried we'd have to wait until we get back.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

PostSubject: Re: Unrelated to the Chapters   Unrelated to the Chapters Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2007 10:09 pm

Where are you ladies going? Sounds fun. You two will probably be antisocial with your noses in your books. Have fun. Oh crap I remember. You are going to see Wicked. Enjoy it. That was probably the best play I've ever seen.

Have fun at the wedding too.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

PostSubject: Re: Unrelated to the Chapters   Unrelated to the Chapters Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 4:41 pm

So far Finn is wonderful. I love how the author has tied parts of H.Finn and T. Sawyer into this book. I tend to think I am right with it, but just a few chapters ago I was thrown for quite a loop. I am going to be very interested to not only read the rest of the book, but to hear your opinions on it too.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

PostSubject: Re: Unrelated to the Chapters   Unrelated to the Chapters Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 4:12 pm

I'm glad I am reading Huckleberry finn. I like how closely the stories tiwne and how adroitly Clinch explains some othe things that were found in the house floating by.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

PostSubject: Re: Unrelated to the Chapters   Unrelated to the Chapters Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2007 3:09 pm

This was definitely one of my favorite novels. Who would have thought. Where is everyone else.

Are we ready to start the Red Badge or do we need a break?
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

PostSubject: Re: Unrelated to the Chapters   Unrelated to the Chapters Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2007 5:06 pm

I'm ready to get started...How about you guys??
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

PostSubject: HUCKLEBERRY   Unrelated to the Chapters Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2007 3:37 am

As huckleberries are small, dark and rather insignificant, in the early part of the nineteenth century the word became a synonym for something humble or minor, or a tiny amount. An example from 1832: “He was within a huckleberry of being smothered to death”. Later on it came to mean somebody inconsequential. Mark Twain borrowed some aspects of these ideas to name his famous character, Huckleberry Finn. His idea, as he told an interviewer in 1895, was to establish that he was a boy “of lower extraction or degree” than Tom Sawyer.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

PostSubject: Re: Unrelated to the Chapters   Unrelated to the Chapters Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2007 4:13 pm

Wow, Marti, that is really good information! Thanks! You have probbly read by now what Clinches Idea was for how or why Huckle berry got his name.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

PostSubject: Re: Unrelated to the Chapters   Unrelated to the Chapters Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2007 7:08 pm

Thanks Marti for looking in to it. That was great info!! And it makes the book make more sense.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

PostSubject: Re: Unrelated to the Chapters   Unrelated to the Chapters Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 4:49 pm

I just got the Red Badge of Courage at lunch today.
I just wanted to say that I like Finn quite a bit. I liked it's serious level and the way Clinch so cleverly covered all the bases about what was in the horrible room that Huck and Jim found. I liked Clinches afterward, too, and his modest way of describing his writing of the book.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unrelated to the Chapters   Unrelated to the Chapters Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Unrelated to the Chapters
Page 1 of 1