The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 4-6

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 4-6 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 4-6   Chapters 4-6 Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2007 9:07 am

This forum is for the discussion of Huckleberry Finn, Chapters 4-6.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapters 4-6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 4-6   Chapters 4-6 Icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2007 8:56 pm

Huck is starting to get used to going to school and has learned to read. He does get bore and skips school on occasion. After spilling some salt and not being able to undo the bad luck by throwing salt over his shoulder, because teh widow thinks it is ridiculous, Huck feels he is in for some bad luck Jim, Mrs. Watsons slave can tell fortunres or predict the future with a giant hair ball from the stomach of an ox. Euuuuh! Jim tells Huck some prety nebulous stuff but Low and behold his father steps back into his life, as mean as ever. The dad has heard about Hucks 6000.00 from hs advenutes in tom Sawyer and basically just wants the money.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Chapters 4-6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 4-6   Chapters 4-6 Icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2007 9:02 pm

The father is a raging alchoholic and a mean drunk. he tries to get huck money from the judge and decides to kidnap huck to keep him away from the widow and school. he beats huck and verabally abuses him. he takes him to a cabin some miles away from town but locks him in when ever he has to leave. Huck plans to escape and make it on his own. he has decided he doesn't want to live with the widow any more, either. After particularly bad round with his dad and alcohol, huck decides to make his escape whe the dad goes to town to seel some logs that have floated down the river.
I though it was intresting to see that at least via twains writing, that people recognized abuse and were tryng to do something about it, ie. get huck into the custody of the widow.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 4-6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 4-6   Chapters 4-6 Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2007 2:41 am

I was paying as much attention to Huck's Pa because of the next book we are going to read. I wonder if this new author has the same techniques in writing as Twain? Will he try to copy style.

We saw in Ahab's Wife that the sequel was written so much more to our taste because it moved faster and was written by a contemporary writer.

We shall see.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Chapters 4-6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 4-6   Chapters 4-6 Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2007 6:50 pm

there was an article in newsweek about 'Finn'. the review caught my eye because we were going to read Huckleberry finn. I too am paying close attention to hucks pa in this book.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890

Chapters 4-6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 4-6   Chapters 4-6 Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2007 12:36 am

Chapters 4-6:

I have also been really watching Huck's father in anticipation of reading Finn. SparkNotes did a nice job of summing up his character,"The deathly pallor of his skin, which is nauseating to Huck, makes Pap emblematic of whiteness. Unfortunately, Pap represents the worst of white society: he is illiterate, ignorant, violent, and profoundly racist," and the roles that he plays in society, his son's life, and the novel.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Sponsored content

Chapters 4-6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 4-6   Chapters 4-6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 4-6
Page 1 of 1