The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 13-14

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 13-14 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 13-14   Chapters 13-14 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 18, 2007 5:20 pm

These two chapters clearly define the views of Hesters, Chillingsworth and the townspeople.

Hester has no malice toward Chillingswoth. She wants him to become human again and stop the revenge. He is apparently too far gone with jealousy and revenge to change. His age has a part to play in it too. He is older now and seems to be content with picking wildflowers and roots for his remedies. He is a very sad man who doesn't want his identity revealed. Does he not have the strength to stand by Hester's side. It was mentioned that she married him because of economic and class-conscious reasons and not love. He apparently was a dry boring scholar and thought it was a great idea to wed a young woman. This was the beginning of the end. Chillingsworth, in my opinion, was not a man of honor in any way. He wanted the public's approval, even over his own religious beliefs.

Hester transformed too. She has taken to helping the needy and not really caring about the reason why the scarlet letter in on her. She still has concern for Pearl and her interpretation of this letter.

Dimmesdale's health has taken a toll too. Guilt and judgment on himself has made him an old man.

I still don't know why Dimmesdale and Hester and Pearl didn't just leave and start a new life. It is a nice tangled literature type web.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 13-14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 13-14   Chapters 13-14 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 6:04 pm

When I got to this point, I thought the same thing! Just leave!
I felt Chillingsworth was feeling some remorse for his part in making hester the woman she was. he commented on how good she might have been if she had married else wise, seing all her current virtues. he has too much pride to allow the town to know he was a cuckhold and also neglectful, not to mention that he stayed and wended his way into the community for years to get vengence.
Back to top Go down
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Chapters 13-14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 13-14   Chapters 13-14 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 9:42 pm

I agree with Hester that her first mistake was to marry a man much older and had nothing in common with.
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890

Chapters 13-14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 13-14   Chapters 13-14 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2007 2:34 am

Why did Hester decide not to reveal the truth about Mr. Chillingsworth?? I can't remember.
I agree that these chapters define many of the characters in the novel and their progress up until now, and I find it interesting how "before the times" Hester's view and feminism seems to be.
Like many people who have had to endure significant loss, she has little personality left it seems, and is really just a shell, that goes through the motions to obtain what she needs for her daughter.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Chapters 13-14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 13-14   Chapters 13-14 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2007 4:31 am

To the best of my recollection, it was never brought up why she didn't speak up and tell everyone she was married to Chillingsworth.
Back to top Go down
Karen

Karen

Number of posts : 365

Chapters 13-14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 13-14   Chapters 13-14 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2007 12:40 pm

Chillingworth had something over her which is why she did not divulge his identity. Maybe it was that he was not going to publicly harrass her or Per. There was a reason but I can't remember. HE said he felt he and she we even since he married her so young and and then left her to her own devices for two yers in new england.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 13-14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 13-14   Chapters 13-14 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 13-14
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Well Educated Mind Reading Group :: Novel Section :: The Scarlet Letter-
Jump to: