The Well Educated Mind Reading Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Well Educated Mind Reading Group

Private reading group discussions

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chapters 16-19

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 16-19 Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 16-19   Chapters 16-19 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2007 3:57 pm

This forum is for the discussion of The Portrait of a Lady, chapters 16-19.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 16-19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 16-19   Chapters 16-19 Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2007 1:43 am

I am really starting to dislike our heroine. She seems presumptious in the fact that she doesn't care where her money is coming from. Mrs. Touchette is not letting her know. When you have money, you can afford to have more principles than other people. If she had to marry to secure her future, she would have to have a different outlook on her marriage proposals.

Henrietta wants her to keep her "American" values. I didn't realize it was such an important thing to keep your ways and culture through a geographical point. It was even more disturbing that by marrying an American, she would keep her convictions as an American. I always thought that those were within no matter where you reside.

I am trying to see the author portray the supporting characters as giving and endulging by supporting her financially, but it's hard.

Is Isabel such a wonderful person that she can just follow her passion of being independent. Did her father raise her so independent that she didn't need anyone in her adult life?

I guess I'm looking at this literature journey from within the book.

Kelley, expand for me what you were talking about when you said that James was using different types of writing. I'm not picking up any of that. Where did you read about that?
Back to top Go down
Kelley
Admin
Kelley

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2006-11-20

Chapters 16-19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 16-19   Chapters 16-19 Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2007 1:59 am

Well even before I read the SparkNotes on this section, I did not like Madame Merle, she seems sneaky and fake. I feel like she is already manipulating Isabel with her compliments and 'advice'.
We can already assume the fortune that will be coming to Isabel will bring with it many new struggles.

Marti, I was talking about the use of quietism, I think they called it, where the author implies that things happen, but doesn't go into great detail. An example is when Goodwood proposes initially and Isabel refuses, we know that it has happened but we don't have the details until this set of chapters.
Back to top Go down
https://welleducatedmind.editboard.com
Minimoosey

Minimoosey

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2006-11-21

Chapters 16-19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 16-19   Chapters 16-19 Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2007 9:16 pm

In quietism, will the facts be released eventually?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chapters 16-19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapters 16-19   Chapters 16-19 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 16-19
Page 1 of 1